Algae Growing On Zoa And Zoa Identification Help

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

About a week ago I purchased a Zoa frag. And I have noticed it’s more or less encrusting around the frag unlike the normal Zoas that I have seen and purchased. The picture will be posted below. But since putting it in the tank it seems to have some sort of algae hairs growing out of it. I have no idea what it is or how to fix it. And I’m just looking for some help here on how to get rid of the algae. And if anybody else knows what type of Zoa this is or if it even is a Zoa please let me know!

Pictures of the Zoa will be posted below

- Sam

DAD85CF4-1C47-474E-B873-9EEC5BF3D8F9.jpeg 1DE5CC96-FC73-4972-B276-BD59A3C3D4B8.jpeg 0A366997-17EB-43D7-A5AC-09C0EFADC059.jpeg AE9FD674-8E3B-45E2-B07E-EBB0DB4E9A50.jpeg

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a solid complete clean up crew (CUC)??? From assortment of hermit crabs, crabs, snails, urchin, slug, stars, cucumbers & working fish like a rabbit or tang. These animals will naturally eat up the algae without resorting to chemical cleansing, plus it’s very beneficial for your system to house these critters. About the zoa ID, still hard to tell because the colors are not rich enough to give proper ID. So far I see pink but it can go red with proper nutrition & lighting, ID can be cat eyes to agaves to maybe armors of god but the zoas look healthy though, great score.

OP
OP
CrazyDuck959

CrazyDuck959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a solid complete clean up crew (CUC)??? From assortment of hermit crabs, crabs, snails, urchin, slug, stars, cucumbers & working fish like a rabbit or tang. These animals will naturally eat up the algae without resorting to chemical cleansing, plus it’s very beneficial for your system to house these critters. About the zoa ID, still hard to tell because the colors are not rich enough to give proper ID. So far I see pink but it can go red with proper nutrition & lighting, ID can be cat eyes to agaves to maybe armors of god but the zoas look healthy though, great score.
I have a nano tank so smaller clean up crew and no tangs. And to help with the zoa identification. The outside circle of the zoas are pink and the inside circle of the zoas are purple with a white mouth. And like I said they seem to be encrusting around the frag plug vs having individual stalk that holds the actual zoa. Thanks for your help again!
2 /1 ratio of salt water to peroxide for 3 to 5 minutes will do the trick.
And you just dip then rinse in fresh saltwater before adding it back to the tank right? Or should I be doing something else before adding it to the tank again?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank so smaller clean up crew and no tangs. And to help with the zoa identification. The outside circle of the zoas are pink and the inside circle of the zoas are purple with a white mouth. And like I said they seem to be encrusting around the frag plug vs having individual stalk that holds the actual zoa. Thanks for your help again!

And you just dip then rinse in fresh saltwater before adding it back to the tank right? Or should I be doing something else before adding it to the tank again?
Yes dip and rinse. My zoa did great and the algae was gone, gha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back