Algae Identification

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no for sure that is safe. We have studied deep cleans across a thousand or more tanks, cycles cannot be undone without sustained antibacterial meds, true drying of surfaces, or freeze/boil and even freezing might not kill them totally. no degree of peroxide work can undo a cycle.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree this tank needs the rip method, parameters are still important and likely tell the story of how it got here. And will be important on making sure it doesn't get here again after ripping it.

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no for sure that is safe. We have studied deep cleans across a thousand or more tanks, cycles cannot be undone without sustained antibacterial meds, true drying of surfaces, or freeze/boil and even freezing might not kill them totally.
Okay, so can you give me a step by step rundown of what to do because I don't want to mess this up

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand will be rinsed clean in tap water then glass tested for clarity like shown on video page one here

final rinse is RO, to evacuate the tap water. Sand is ready

Rocks, if covered in algae are rasped clean outside the tank and then rinsed in *saltwater* and set back in holding buckets until we are ready to re assemble

we wipe down the totally empty reef tank with vinegar then rinse it out, so that all four walls of glass are clean and the floor of the tank too. Zero clouding anywhere.

the new water goes back in matching temp and salinity of the old water, this is the rip clean process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i removed the smaller piece of rock sprayed with 3% peroxide, let is set for 3-5 minutes and then sprayed down with pressure washer
Clean.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually we use saltwater and rasping outside the tank

ha now thats a fast cut though lol! we haven't used freshwater to blast off rocks yet but it wont hurt at all. Cycles cannot be undone by a little FW work.

readers: use saltwater on your rocks primarily.

your lights as mentioned prior w be much better off going blue vs white, reducing white intensity w help your growback wars.

all white rock is expected to be this challenging.
it takes manual control cleaning until coralline takes over and helps you exclude algae

that’s why we don’t scrape off any coralline in producing the test rock

you did a FINE job commanding that test rock! Great example for others to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have one other larger rock that has a soft coral on it. Should I try and remove it and if so what would be the best method?
Coral.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should work that area last among the whole tank. i would use rasping vs jetting water so you can get close but not harm it. you can dropper peroxide near it but not on it, that'll mow those early algae growths down. be precise in surgery

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we should work that area last among the whole tank. i would use rasping vs jetting water so you can get close but not harm it. you can dropper peroxide near it but not on it, that'll mow those early algae growths down. be precise in surgery
Only problem is that is the only other piece of rock it has all been epoxied together

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a-ha! we're at the classic roadblock. unepoxy it, murphy's law has placed the invader right in the spot where a bridge lets it exist. Im big into modular scapes/able to be accessed lol

easy to prescribe from across the web/breaking down a man's aquascape in good position i understand if you dont want to/keep brainstorming ways to clean around it and dislodge all detritus from up under too as you consider access constraints./

in order to clean sand I think we'd have to break it anyway?

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a-ha! we're at the classic roadblock. unepoxy it, murphy's law has placed the invader right in the spot where a bridge lets it exist. Im big into modular scapes/able to be accessed lol

easy to prescribe from across the web/breaking down a man's aquascape in good position i understand if you dont want to/keep brainstorming ways to clean around it and dislodge all detritus from up under too as you consider access constraints./

in order to clean sand I think we'd have to break it anyway?
Okay, then break it we shall

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WVU that is looking sharp.

***see that patch of coralline you grew, we are clearing ground to specifically coat all rock surfaces in it, or coral flesh you planted. Those surfaces exclude algae growth, look how right where there’s coralline it blocked algae

we want to keep ground open, by force, for that to spread. Even the nutrients and light that brought algae to non coralline surfaces couldn’t anchor some there. key clue in the timeframe it takes to not have to work so much....this is the price of dry rock starts. The benefits was you got no mantis shrimps or eunice worms.

a new way of clearing gha exists which focuses on expanding zones that exclude algae, and making the tank cloudless, vs toiling with parameters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WVU that is looking sharp.

***see that patch of coralline you grew, we are clearing ground to specifically coat all rock surfaces in it, or coral flesh you planted. Those surfaces exclude algae growth, look how right where there’s coralline it blocked algae

we want to keep ground open, by force, for that to spread.
So what would you suggest to treat the other two pieces I broke off that have the coral on them?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hitting the non coral non coralline areas with a little peroxide after clearing, not before / crucial order of ops. Once cleared that well, hit clean zones with a misting of peroxide or droppers however you want

set the rock on the counter with corals and use a pocket knife to precision debride all target off right up to the coral base. Treat with peroxide dropped on or paintbrushed on etc on the cleaned areas don’t contact corals only targets.

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hitting the non coral non coralline areas with a little peroxide after clearing, not before / crucial order of ops. Once cleared that well, hit clean zones with a misting of peroxide or droppers however you want

set the rock on the counter with corals and use a pocket knife to precision debride all target off right up to the coral base. Treat with peroxide dropped on or paintbrushed on etc on the cleaned areas don’t contact corals only targets.
The two that I already cleaned I Pressure Washed, Sprayed down with peroxide and scrubbed, sprayed off and returned to the tank.

Haven't touched the two smaller rocks with the coral yet.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect. If you’re really determined to fix this tank plus the total takedown and wash of the sandbed (still will not cause a cycle) you will have a gem of a tank, skip cycle reset, saving you weeks of wait.

in the clean condition, instate all ideals, clean up crews, params and filter setups.
how many gallons is this tank

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect. If you’re really determined to fix this tank plus the total takedown and wash of the sandbed (still will not cause a cycle) you will have a gem of a tank, skip cycle reset, saving you weeks of wait.

in the clean condition, instate all ideals, clean up crews, params and filter setups.
So clean the remaining two rocks, then syphon out sand, wash it, then replace. Right?

OP
OP
W

WVU247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back