Algae in sump advice!

Aaron Davis

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
276
Reaction score
87
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I purchased a bag of algae from a LFS a few months back and and now wondering what I got exactly; as I've noticed a few different types of algae in my sump. I noticed a few bubbles of what appears to be green bubble algae on the end of my heater. Is this alright in my sump? I feel like I should be removing it. I accidentally popped one of the bubbles yesterday when doing some maintenance. I have some normal chaeto and I also believe I have BRYOPSIS, CAULERPA and some Red Algae of some kind. Possibly POLYSIPHONIA? All these different algae species are in a large group.

Are these species alright or preferred? Or should I remove them all and start over with ONLY chaeto?

Thanks!

Aaron
 
Definitely remove bryopsis or anything that resembles it and proceed cautiously with the caulerpa. Using chaeto exclusively is definitely the safest option.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new