Algae issue which snails?

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya guys, I’ve been having a bit of an algae issue in my 15 gallon tank that’s been up and running for 3 months now. Is this just the ‘ugly’ stage?
Which snails would be best to get rid of the algae? It’s primarily on the rock and some on the sand. I already have 1 trochus snail and 1 nassarius snail. Some people have recommended spiny Astraea snails but I’ve heard they can get quite big, also have had money cowries recommended, are they any good? How many snails will be a good amount for this size of tank?

stocking:
-cleaner shrimp
-Yasha goby with Randall’s pistol
-pink streaked wrasse
-6 soft corals (mushroom, zoas, Xenia and leather)
-1 Lps (Duncan)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not looking at add a lot of snails, I vote for 1 Mexican Turbo Snail. Snail is a work horse. You can probably get away with 2.

Edit: ok here’s my official vote. 1 Mexican Turbo and 1 fighting conch. Sand will always be white. Turbo will take care of the rock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not looking at add a lot of snails, I vote for 1 Mexican Turbo Snail. Snail is a work horse. You can probably get away with 2.

Edit: ok here’s my official vote. 1 Mexican Turbo and 1 fighting conch. Sand will always be white. Turbo will take care of the rock.
Awesome, would a conch be ok in my tank long term? I’ve heard they eat diatoms and detritus very fast, would I need to supplement them with something??

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, would a conch be ok in my tank long term? I’ve heard they eat diatoms and detritus very fast, would I need to supplement them with something??
Your CUC is very small. If you only buy 1 it should be fine. Do not buy 2. Your obviously feeding enuf to create algae.

Edit: I would buy small to keep from having to supplement feed it longer. I don’t think you’ll need to, but I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see it running out of food, you can always feed it some dried nori. I would definitely buy small.

Edit: From what I hear, they also eat whatever fish food lands in the sand as well. FYI. Mine shifts the sand like crazy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your CUC is very small. If you only buy 1 it should be fine. Do not buy 2. Your obviously feeding enuf to create algae.

Edit: I would buy small to keep from having to supplement feed it longer. I don’t think you’ll need to, but I guess time will tell.
Ok that’s great, I’ll make sure I get it small.
So then with 4 snails total that should hopefully keep my tank nice and clean.
Thanks a bunch for all the help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see it running out of food, you can always feed it some dried nori. I would definitely buy small.

Edit: From what I hear, they also eat whatever fish food lands in the sand as well. FYI. Mine shifts the sand like crazy.
That’s what I thought I needed to do so I’ll keep some nori on hand so that I can use it if I need to, I’ll make sure I get it nice and small

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wait a sec! I’ve just seen that Mexican turbo snails can reach 3 inches long, that’s way to big for my tank!
Are there any alternatives that are also very good algae eaters?

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a sec! I’ve just seen that Mexican turbo snails can reach 3 inches long, that’s way to big for my tank!
Are there any alternatives that are also very good algae eaters?
Lol of course there is alternatives. I was just suggesting one that I like, and know will do a good job on the glass and rock work. Also something really neat to watch.

You can get like 5 Astraea snails, which will do the work of 1 Mexican turbo.

2A5F817B-E501-4375-BEA6-F9E3EFFA89D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol of course there is alternatives. I was just suggesting one that I like, and know will do a good job on the glass and rock work. Also something really neat to watch.

You can get like 5 Astraea snails, which will do the work of 1 Mexican turbo.

2A5F817B-E501-4375-BEA6-F9E3EFFA89D2.jpeg
Oh ok, would a Mexican turbo snail topple my rockwork if I got one?

Upvote 0

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, would a Mexican turbo snail topple my rockwork if I got one?
Eh no, but they are strong. I would so they are more likely to knock off a frag. But mine hasn’t knocked down any glued on frags.

If your rock work isn’t sitting on the bottom glass of your tank, the conch snail might undermine it. If it is sitting on bottom glass I wouldn’t worry about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you need like 1 snail for every 1.5 gallons of water in your tank. That’s a lot of snails.
I have also heard some say that but after further research I realised that was nonsense and you would only end up with dead snails, it also depends on the size of the snails

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back