Algae on injured blasto..

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimCali75
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JimCali75

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
272
Reaction score
65
Location
Menifee CA USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have this PD frag that was zapped pretty hard by a Pectinia. The damaged heads are still hanging on. I had hopes that they’d make a comeback. Some algae has started to grow on the plug and skeleton. Any recommendations on dealing with this. My first thought was a diluted hydrogen peroxide dip but I’m afraid that would be too harsh on the damaged heads. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
IMG_4569.jpeg
 
I have been told that algae does not grow on living tissue. Not sure if I believe it 100%, but I believe it like 93.2%. Where ever the algae is growing has died. I agree that doing a peroxide dip on a dying blasto might put it over the edge. I wonder if placing it in a low light area (blastos are ok in lower light) would help slow the growth of the algae and give the blasto some time to regenerate?
 
Manually scraped the algae off the plug and swabbed peroxide on the area with a Q tip. On the exposed skeleton I applied a drop of peroxide with an eye dropper. Left it for one minute, rinsed and back into the tank. The remaining flesh on the two damaged heads looks pretty good the next day. Good to know it can handle a short exposure to peroxide.
IMG_4606.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new