Algae reactor added, leather closed

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a diy algae reactor. Ever since my finger leather has been closed. It's day 5 now. He does close to shed occasionally but normally reopens in 3 or 4 days. Could this be related? Does he not like the cleaner water? (Nitrates have dropped about 5ppm since adding it last friday) I am probably over reacting but he never closes this long. All Other corals fine

20170727_162450.jpg

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is probably just closed up. Give it a week and it'll probably open up again. You can use a turkey baster to see if anything is perhaps irritating the top of the coral.

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
He is probably just closed up. Give it a week and it'll probably open up again. You can use a turkey baster to see if anything is perhaps irritating the top of the coral.
Tried Turkey baster...he is very shiny/waxy but no shedding that I can see

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes leathers do like higher nitrates they like “dirty” water and im assuming you had it in higher nitrates for a while it probably acclimated to it its a 50/50 either it kicks back or it dies the best option would be to slow down on the nitrate outtake, maybe put a timer on the reactors lights and slowly let it be on longer and longer

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes leathers do like higher nitrates they like “dirty” water and im assuming you had it in higher nitrates for a while it probably acclimated to it its a 50/50 either it kicks back or it dies the best option would be to slow down on the nitrate outtake, maybe put a timer on the reactors lights and slowly let it be on longer and longer
I didn't even think of that..yes I have been fighting high nitrates for a while ( in the 30 to 40 range) right now reactor lights are on opposite of dt being 13 hrs, guess I'll cut back to half that and hope he recovers. Rest of corals (lps) are fine

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would start 4 hours and make my way up within a month or two not to shock anything

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My way of seeing it is your shocking the whole system sort of like doing 100% water changes
There are allot of things in your system besides coral and fish all the micro organisms and invertebrates can get affected as well, its also possible a shock will show good results temporarily but inside the zoanthille is dying

There is a saying, bad things are the only things that happen fast in a aquarium

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My way of seeing it is your shocking the whole system sort of like doing 100% water changes
There are allot of things in your system besides coral and fish all the micro organisms and invertebrates can get affected as well, its also possible a shock will show good results temporarily but inside the zoanthille is dying

There is a saying, bad things are the only things that happen fast in a aquarium
I moved it down to 4 hrs. Wondering if I should leave off a few days... I actually just retested and nitrates are 20 not 10

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My softies have not been doing well since I added the biopellet reactor. My nitrate is non- detectable and it has been months. I am ready to give up on softies...

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My softies have not been doing well since I added the biopellet reactor. My nitrate is non- detectable and it has been months. I am ready to give up on softies...
He is my only one, it was given to me, I won't get anymore I don't Think. I want cleaner water for lps and less algae etc

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't tried taking it off line completely ?
Just having lower nutints "shouldn't " make it close up like that Esp with just Cato. A gfo overdose yea I could see that.

It closed up immedialty upon turning it on?

OP
OP
slipknotgrrl83

slipknotgrrl83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't tried taking it off line completely ?
Just having lower nutints "shouldn't " make it close up like that Esp with just Cato. A gfo overdose yea I could see that.

It closed up immedialty upon turning it on?
Reactor still online. Cut it back to 4 hrs from advice above. He opened up the whole day after I used it that first night. Closed 2nd day and hasn't reopened, don't use gfo, no other changes. Tried Turkey basting top and nothing. Possibly just a long shedding process?? I'm out of ideas

Nitrate 20 api will test with red sea tomorrow

Nitrite ammonia 0
Sg 1.025
Cal 480
Mag 1350
Alk 9
Ph 8.1 to 8.2

Only change is nitrates are a bit lower

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back