Algae scrubber - Santa Monica (bubble) vs Clear Water (pump)?

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm going to give Algae scrubbers a try. I am looking at the Santa Monica HOG (bubble type) or a Clear Water (plumbed type).

Has anyone had experience with one kind vs the other? I'm interested to hear your experiences with either specifically those manuf/models or just between the two types.

I have room to plumb one in, but also like the smaller install/footprint of the bubble style... Curious if anyone feels one is better than the other?

Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an IceCap (plumbed type) and a small Santa Monica HOG. They both work and, like you mentioned, there are situations where both of them may be the best solution. That said, if you have room I would recommend that you take a strong look at the IceCap (or comparable). I have had mine for about 9 months and continue to be pleased with the performance.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IceCap (plumbed type) and a small Santa Monica HOG. They both work and, like you mentioned, there are situations where both of them may be the best solution. That said, if you have room I would recommend that you take a strong look at the IceCap (or comparable). I have had mine for about 9 months and continue to be pleased with the performance.
I'm so torn. :)

Do you run your IceCap off of the return or have a separate pump for it?

But I do like the fact that the HOG is just a simple air pump that makes it work. :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm so torn. :)

Do you run your IceCap off of the return or have a separate pump for it?

But I do like the fact that the HOG is just a simple air pump that makes it work. :)

I have a separate pump coming from the sump. I added a small IceCap EVO pump, but any small pump would work fine. FWIW, I would buy the IceCap scrubber again. Good luck with whatever you choose!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ice Cap and clear water. I Have CW and excellent unit, easy to clean and hear all good on ice Caps. Both require external pump which is no issue for me.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearwater scrubber. it's been running for about 5 weeks now and I am just starting to see some algae growth at the bottom of the screen. I am feeding it off a small sicce pump in the sump. Only complaint is the lid is so tick poorly made, after only about a week, the heat from the lights warped the lid to the point it does not sit flat on top of the unit.. Plus the fact they want another $60 for guards to limit the light spill out the sides. If i had to do it again I would go with a Sant Monica!
UKJ5Jyv.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Clearwater scrubber. it's been running for about 5 weeks now and I am just starting to see some algae growth at the bottom of the screen. I am feeding it off a small sicce pump in the sump. Only complaint is the lid is so tick poorly made, after only about a week, the heat from the lights warped the lid to the point it does not sit flat on top of the unit.. Plus the fact they want another $60 for guards to limit the light spill out the sides. If i had to do it again I would go with a Sant Monica!
UKJ5Jyv.jpg
For light guards- I cut out cardboard and sprayed them with lacquer. Using them over a year and still works.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hows youre icecap doing any input or review?
It's actually doing pretty good!

I'll get a pic of it dirty on Saturday when I clean it.

I was able to stop.using phosgaurd and keep my posts around .07-.14

I still wanted it lower so I bought a larger skimmer.

That's breaking in so fingers crossed it lowers it enough I can really start feeding the corals ;Facepalm

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Clearwater due to space constraints: easier for me to have it suspended over my sump with a small pump than one of the Santa Monica scrubbers that would be the appropriate size for my tank.

I know several people on here who have had great experiences with both. Just went with what worked for my system. I’ll report back when I have my system up and running.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually doing pretty good!

I'll get a pic of it dirty on Saturday when I clean it.

I was able to stop.using phosgaurd and keep my posts around .07-.14

I still wanted it lower so I bought a larger skimmer.

That's breaking in so fingers crossed it lowers it enough I can really start feeding the corals ;Facepalm
any issues? like leakage, warping, light problems, water spraying? those are what i found around?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any issues? like leakage, warping, light problems, water spraying? those are what i found around?
I haven't had any leak issues...

I have it about 6"-8" inches above the water so there is a bit of splashing but that's on me. A tube to the water would fix that.

Light does spill put of the sides a bit but it's in a cabinet so I don't see it.

If I could go back with what I know, I would have went with a Santa Monica so I could float it in my sump.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Clear Water algae scrubber a few weeks ago. Super happy with it so far. Has algae growing, but haven't harvested yet. I happen to like the pink light. I added a pvc pipe with a T, it's dead silent.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving my Santa Monica Rain. Took a while to understand the process and realize how it works. Totally happy with it. Don't even need the skimmer for nutrient export, but I still keep it running to help with oxygenation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back