ALGAE

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm about st my wits end. I cannot get rid of this algae. I'm assuming it's Cyano but not 100% sure. It comes off sand bed in a "sheet" if I'm careful when I remove it. I have siphoned the sand multiple times, water changes, lights out for 72 hours. It always comes back. Is there a way to know if it's definitely Cyano? It seems too dark for diatoms.

Unfortunately, I'm having some health issues and cannot stand for very long. So I'll have to have a friend help with whatever suggestions y'all have.

Thank you.

IMG_4949.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it doesn't look like Cyano.

Take a portion of that red mat you see in your tank and place it into a cup with about 2 cups of tank water.
Now add 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide
Over the course of several hours you may start to see a change in the water and the color of your sample.
If in fact it is the common cyanobacteria and not spirulina the water will start to turn a pink color and the sample with start to turn a green color.
Now if it is spirulina there will be no change as h2o2 has little effect on the individual cells.

This is an easy way to check if it is.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please consider sending a sample out for ID. I can not say for sure what it is but it is 1 of 3 things. Need a scope shot.

DaNkness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was curious about the rock your using since ur in Texas also. It kind of looks like the natural limestone we have here in San Antonio, I use a few pieces along with real LR in my tanks from time to time but I also do get some bacterial blooms from time to time but haven't correlated the two things for sure yet.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on dynos. Looks like sticky, stringy, pain in the ****

OP
OP
inkedtx

inkedtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I was curious about the rock your using since ur in Texas also. It kind of looks like the natural limestone we have here in San Antonio, I use a few pieces along with real LR in my tanks from time to time but I also do get some bacterial blooms from time to time but haven't correlated the two things for sure yet.

Hi

It's Reef Saver rock from BRS.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really look like dinos to me.....looks more like a mix of cyano and diatoms? Dinos, in my experience (unfortunately) have much longer strings with bubbles. Dinos also don't really come off in mats. Have you checked your nutrients (nitrates, phosphates)?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really look like dinos to me.....looks more like a mix of cyano and diatoms? Dinos, in my experience (unfortunately) have much longer strings with bubbles. Dinos also don't really come off in mats. Have you checked your nutrients (nitrates, phosphates)?

Does not really look like Dino to me either. If you're at your wits end try Chemiclean, use as directed per product instructions, add supplementary O2 source during treatment, do a water change 48 hours later.
As posted check your nitrate and phos levels.
These algae issue can extremely frustrating. There are interventions it's just a matter of what works for your tank.
Correct any water quality issues, modify feeding regime, modify lighting and filtration, add phos reduction products, but do one intervention at a time and allow time to adequately see results.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back