Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water and found...
Calcium is at 400
Magnesium is at 1170
Alkalinity is at 1.96

Cal and Mag test kits are Salifert
Alkalinity test kit is redsea

What are my options to safely raise these to more suitable numbers?

I have a mixed reef tank with 4 small fish

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested twice... first test came to 2.14 meq/l testing 5ml water
Second test was 1.96 mep/l testing 10ml of water... all coral seem to be loving life, no die off at all.. actually growing great
Ah! Ok were not talking DKH. It is still a bit low as that equates to around 6dkh

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do is raise them slowly. Where you keep them is entirely up to you. Personally I like to keep 8dkh alkalinity, 420 calcium and 1400 magnesium

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have to supplement your levels?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All For Reef is a nice simple all in one. It’s expensive, but if you don’t have a really high alkalinity demand it’s really convenient, high quality, and has trace elements that often get depleted.

They also have a nice dosing calculator at the bottom of this page

OP
OP
J

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All For Reef is a nice simple all in one. It’s expensive, but if you don’t have a really high alkalinity demand it’s really convenient, high quality, and has trace elements that often get depleted.

They also have a nice dosing calculator at the bottom of this page

Im currently only dosing with bio-enhance from quantum... would that be alright to dose along with it?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either that
Thats the question im asking... what should i use to raise them?
I'm a big fan of BRS 2 part. Which is actually three. It's a soda ash, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. You mix up a gallon of each and dose as needed per the calculator right on the BRS website. You enter your tank volume, enter your current level, your desired level, and itll tell you how much to dose to bring it up to that level.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently only dosing with bio-enhance from quantum... would that be alright to dose along with it?

Yes, the All for Reef is just major and some minor elements, no nutrients or vitamins so you can dose it with the quantum. Same for BRS 2 part which is just major elements.

Any 2 part like BRS or ESV are fine options. They’ll bring your alk, calc, mag up. Trace elements are nice to have, but depends on how often you do water changes, how heavily stocked your tank is, if you have a refugium which tends to use up more trace elements, etc. (I have found in my tanks, which always have refugiums, that the trace elements keep things healthy without constant water changes)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but make sure you add Magnesium first. This will help prevent precipitation when you add alkalinity.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back