Alk drops 2 dkh after using detox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my dkh dropped to 5.7 from 7.5 after the recommended 72 hrs of detox and week of carbon. calcium and magnesium are on point. What is the best way to get things back to normal? Please advise

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i just get the CO3 Alkalinity Increaser to raise the ALk ? is this a common side effect of using detox?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added Detox a couple of days ago and will restart the carbon and GFO this evening. I will be interested to see the effect on the Kh....

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it will be interesting if you experience the same effect. please keep us posted.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested it and my Kh is in line with what I would have expected so no drop after the DETOX for me.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very small amount of copper and a small level of aluminium and tin. I tried metasorp and that brought it down quite a bit, now detox and water change. I am also increasing the GFO and removing the marine pure to see if that removes the aluminium.

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very small amount of copper and a small level of aluminium and tin. I tried metasorp and that brought it down quite a bit, now detox and water change. I am also increasing the GFO and removing the marine pure to see if that removes the aluminium.
i was going to remove the marine pure plates as well but my last icp finally came back negative aluminum. i guess it took a little over 12 months for the aluminum leaching to stop so i am keeping them in for now.

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detox is a mild acid, it does drop KH somewhat. Use NaHCO3 or CO3 to buffer the hardness back up.
my calcium and magnesium are perfect and only the alk dropped so i just ordered the CO3 Alkalinity Increaser .

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use Bicarbonate of Soda (it is NaHCO3) from the supermarket......it just raises the Kh and does nothing else.

My tank is around 320 litres total water after rocks etc. 1 gram of Bicarbonate of Soda raises my tank by 0.1dKh

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just trying to stick to the full Triton method and use only the purest product;)

OP
OP
Motts

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for American standards, i just want to eliminate any chances of my baking soda having contaminants and i am willing to pay the schmuck tax 1 time.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries :) I'm just a tight ****...... We sound like a couple of drug dealers discussing where we can get the pure stuff

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back