Alkalinity Dropping Steadily Despite Dosing

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I’ll ask it here because I don’t see an issue with your alk I only see an issue with your trident . On your fist post you show a pic of your graph. I asked you is you manually tested on July 6th the day alk went up to over 8.7 to verify if trident was off or if tank really at 8.7 from 7.7 in a split second which I’m sure is trident error. And as I said in your other thread which you did not reply to this is most likely a trident error from regents or sucking something up. Your question is why is alk dropping but it’s not dropping from where it was on july5th the day before the spike it’s just finally after days correcting itself from sucking something up

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why has no one asked or you have said what happen what’s the reason for trident to go from 7.7 to over 8.7 from 1 test to the other? Did you change regents ? Huge water change ? Dose a lot that day? Give us something….. and if it was nothing again I’m saying trident error….

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, and at least one (Seachem Reef Fusion) that claims to be 1:1 dosing and clearly is not designed correctly.
That’s scary.

I’ve dosed, tested weekly, and recorded results of dosing Fusion 1 & 2 in a 1/1 ratio for two decades and been able to maintain rock solid results.

What it states on the bottle in terms of use and the resulting additions to Alk and CA seem to be accurate with my testing results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s scary.

I’ve dosed, tested weekly, and recorded results of dosing Fusion 1 & 2 in a 1/1 ratio for two decades and been able to maintain rock solid results.

What it states on the bottle in terms of use and the resulting additions to Alk and CA seem to be accurate with my testing results.

It is easy to see from Seachem's own information about the product that it is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing. It has about 14% too much calcium.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy to see from Seachem's own information about the product that it is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing. It has about 14% too much calcium.

Wow, I certainly didn’t know that, nor would I be able to figure that out.

Even if their statement is wrong and it’s not 1 to 1, whatever ratio it is is very consistent and I have enjoyed dosing their product through all our systems for going on 3 decades.

Maybe that difference doesn’t really matter much provided testing results indicate stable numbers.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a huge surge in coralline growth. It’s nearly impossible to keep it off the glass every 2-3 days. I thought this was healthy! out-competes other rapid growth nuisance algae like hair algae, green algae, diatoms, and mat algae (in a normal reef environment with proper water chemistry). Coralline algae takes up real estate on live rock that other nuisance algae might take up. Most coralline algae species are epiphytic and have chemical defenses to fight off other nuisance algae from growing on it.
I am seeing a huge surge in coralline growth. It’s nearly impossible to keep it off the glass every 2-3 days. I thought this was healthy!?
The reason you want coralline is it out-competes other rapid growth nuisance algae like hair algae, green algae, diatoms, and mat algae (in a normal reef environment with proper water chemistry). Coralline algae takes up real estate on live rock that other nuisance algae might take up. Most coralline algae species are epiphytic and have chemical defenses to fight off other nuisance algae from growing on it.

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why has no one asked or you have said what happen what’s the reason for trident to go from 7.7 to over 8.7 from 1 test to the other? Did you change regents ? Huge water change ? Dose a lot that day? Give us something….. and if it was nothing again I’m saying trident error….
I used BRS calculator to increase the alk. I use BRS pharma 2 part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that difference doesn’t really matter much provided testing results indicate stable numbers.

That is likely the case since exact calcium levels are not that important and other factors also impact it (like water changes).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline Algae is a calcareous alga so it utilizes both magnesium and calcium in its structure and would not be able to reproduce without them.

Yes, I'm aware of what coralline algae is and what it uses.

You said it leaches calcium, and it does not. Leaches means "releases".

Perhaps you meant that to mean that is takes up calcium?

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm aware of what coralline algae is and what it uses.

You said it leaches calcium, and it does not. Leaches means "releases".

Perhaps you meant that to mean that is takes up
Definition -

leaches​

intransitive verb
  • To remove soluble or other constituents from...... and, it was used in reference to water, so you’re WRONG. You’re arguing semantics and misinterpreting. This is supposed to be a place to help each other.
    ...you are not helping. You’re being a troll.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definition -

leaches​

intransitive verb
  • To remove soluble or other constituents from...... and, it was used in reference to water, so you’re WRONG. You’re arguing semantics and misinterpreting. This is supposed to be a place to help each other.
    ...you are not helping. You’re being a troll.

lol

As the leader of this chemistry forum, I often do not know what level of knowledge all the readers have, and I strive to understand what people are claiming (right or wrong), and to make it clear for others who are also reading.

You apparently had the right knowledge of calcium and coralline algae, but the wrong technical wording that I believe could lead to others misunderstand your claim (I certainly did as a chemistry expert), which is why I asked and corrected it.

When someone says something is leaching, that typically means it is releasing something to water, not removing it from water.

Let's google "leaching definition" and see what the top definition means...

#1 definition by the #1 hit on google: Merriam Webster dictionary

"to dissolve out by the action of a percolating liquid"

Examples of leach in a Sentence
Verb
Even a small amount of rain can leach the toxic material from the soil.
Certain kinds of treated wood can leach chemicals into the soil.

In both of those examples, the thing doing the leaching was releasing something from a solid.

Regardless of whether you can find a case where someone uses the word to mean soaking up a chemical from water (can you???) it is obvious that people could misunderstand your sentence to mean releasing calcium to the water, and warrants clarification.

"Coralline growth is healthy, but over time, it leeches calcium."

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

As the leader of this chemistry forum, I often do not know what level of knowledge all the readers have, and I strive to understand what people are claiming (right or wrong), and to make it clear for others who are also reading.

You apparently had the right knowledge of calcium and coralline algae, but the wrong technical wording that I believe could lead to others misunderstand your claim (I certainly did as a chemistry expert), which is why I asked and corrected it.

When someone says something is leaching, that typically means it is releasing something to water, not removing it from water.

Let's google "leaching definition" and see what the top definition means...

#1 definition by the #1 hit on google: Merriam Webster dictionary

"to dissolve out by the action of a percolating liquid"

Examples of leach in a Sentence
Verb
Even a small amount of rain can leach the toxic material from the soil.
Certain kinds of treated wood can leach chemicals into the soil.

In both of those examples, the thing doing the leaching was releasing something from a solid.

Regardless of whether you can find a case where someone uses the word to mean soaking up a chemical from water (can you???) it is obvious that people could misunderstand your sentence to mean releasing calcium to the water, and warrants clarification.

"Coralline growth is healthy, but over time, it leeches calcium."
I understand the misunderstanding, now. Thank you for clarifying. When I used the word ‘leeches’ it was actually a metaphor to the bloodsucker pulling from....
But, understanding how the term ‘leach’ applied in chemistry is also important. Knowledge, itself, is power.
I guess it’s a sign of how the current climate has everyone walking on eggshells, and I’m no exception. My apologies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the misunderstanding, now. Thank you for clarifying. When I used the word ‘leeches’ it was actually a metaphor to the bloodsucker pulling from....
But, understanding how the term ‘leach’ applied in chemistry is also important. Knowledge, itself, is power.
I guess it’s a sign of how the current climate has everyone walking on eggshells, and I’m no exception. My apologies.

No problem.

Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
G

Gmac903

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.

Happy Reefing. :)
I must admit my goof. I did not consider tracking the dosing lines to make sure they were still all well. The house keeper “cleaned” the fish room on her last visit. Alk line was disconnected from DOS. My apologies folks. Lesson learned and much more knowledge gained from the post. Glad to know I have some help out there! ‍♂️♂️

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit my goof. I did not consider tracking the dosing lines to make sure they were still all well. The house keeper “cleaned” the fish room on her last visit. Alk line was disconnected from DOS. My apologies folks. Lesson learned and much more knowledge gained from the post. Glad to know I have some help out there! ‍♂️♂️

Thanks for the update! :)

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no sps so no calcium drop but my alkalinity was dropping IO is at10 dkh mixed 4 months later at 7 calcium 450 never moved so much for your 1 to 1 I put a half teaspoon reef builder in my tank daily for alkalinity . Now that I have some sps yes I dose calcium 2 times a week calcium drop of 30 ppm aweek now. And it will go up sps are awesome. I am running a ATS so algae must use alkalinity to drop nitrates. Don't know not a scientist. All i know is to keep things stable. So that's what I do. And don't forget charcoal.

Back