Alkalinity/ph help

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright here it goes! I just bought an apex a couple days ago (This is relevant later)
I had been dosing/ testing alk with my Hanna checker for a couple weeks. I’ve been dosing 0.2ml after the lights go off and my alk stays at 7.4/7.5.
I would like to raise my to around 9 since that’s where my salt mixes. What is considered to fast and what is considered a good amount each day to raise my alk?
I am dosing brightwell alkalinity 8.3. 0.05ml= 0.1dkh
So now here is where the apex part fits in!... I have noticed my pH at 7.6/7.5 and drops at night to 7.4... too low! (I double checked the accuracy with my Hanna pH checker) I would like to raise this as well and I know pH is linked to alkalinity but is their another way to raise this?
I run a 9gallon so I don’t have a skimmer and can’t run a co2 scrubber any tips?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspicious that the pH is not really that low, but assuming it is, the best options relate to low CO2 air in the room (opening windows, air exchangers, etc) or run to a skimmer (from outside or through a CO2 scrubber or both).

Higher pH alk additives also help, as will the raising of the alkalinty that you plan.

This has more:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspicious that the pH is not really that low, but assuming it is, the best options relate to low CO2 air in the room (opening windows, air exchangers, etc) or run to a skimmer (from outside or through a CO2 scrubber or both).

Higher pH alk additives also help, as will the raising of the alkalinty that you plan.

This has more:

http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/
Thanks any tips on how how quickly I should raise the alk every day? And how I should spread up dosing it? Like how much after lights/during the day/morning?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks any tips on how how quickly I should raise the alk every day? And how I should spread up dosing it? Like how much after lights/during the day/morning?

I personally think that picking a tank alk to match a salt mix is not the best way to decide what alk to use, but I'd raise it 0.5 dKH or less per day if you want to raise alkalinity substantially.

IMO, a better plan is to select the alkalinity you want for husbandry reasons, and then if it appears there's a problem with your water changes from the tank not matching the salt mix (IMO, this is often not an issue, but if the water changes are large it might be), you can alter the salt mix alk or pick a new mix that matches your goals.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that picking a tank alk to match a salt mix is not the best way to decide what alk to use, but I'd raise it 0.5 dKH or less per day if you want to raise alkalinity substantially.

IMO, a better plan is to select the alkalinity you want for husbandry reasons, and then if it appears there's a problem with your water changes from the tank not matching the salt mix (IMO, this is often not an issue, but if the water changes are large it might be), you can alter the salt mix alk or pick a new mix that matches your goals.
Good point thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back