Alkalinity too high

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been cycling 2 weeks now and my alkalinity is at 14! Is this normal at this early stage?
Will it sort itself out?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh 14 isn't that bad. You might have just mixed the salinity a bit high or maybe the salt was not evenly blended before mixed/

Upvote 0

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh 14 isn't that bad. You might have just mixed the salinity a bit high or maybe the salt was not evenly blended before mixed/
There’s a lot of factors that need to be considered before saying 14 is too high or not.... lighting, calcium, magnesium, even N03 & P04
But I definitely see where you’re coming from. I’ve had issues with IO after sitting a while because the salt had seperated to an extent. I can definitely see a 14dkh with reef crystals, I’ve heard many stories of them mixing super high

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot of factors that need to be considered before saying 14 is too high or not.... lighting, calcium, magnesium, even N03 & P04
But I definitely see where you’re coming from. I’ve had issues with IO after sitting a while because the salt had seperated to an extent. I can definitely see a 14dkh with reef crystals, I’ve heard many stories of them mixing super high

14 is not too high regardless of other factors. The tank is cycling so his alk level doesn't matter, especially since its a good idea anyways to do a water change after cycling. By the time he would get corals it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Upvote 0

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 is not too high regardless of other factors. The tank is cycling so his alk level doesn't matter, especially since its a good idea anyways to do a water change after cycling. By the time he would get corals it shouldn't be an issue anymore.
True, my brain is wired towards new tank with corals cuz that’s the boat I’m in lol. Hopefully it’s not a bad batch of salt though

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am using Red Sea coral pro salt (which I thought was quite good)
My parameters are:
Ph- 8.2
Phosphate- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0.15
Calcium- 400
Magnesium- 1260
Salinity- 1.026
Temp- 26 Celsius
(And I am using RoDi water)

Upvote 0

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am using Red Sea coral pro salt (which I thought was quite good)
My parameters are:
Ph- 8.2
Phosphate- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0.15
Calcium- 400
Magnesium- 1260
Salinity- 1.026
Temp- 26 Celsius
(And I am using RoDi water)

At that SG/Temp combination for this salt you should be at 12 dkh not 14. I would recheck your salinity measure after recalibration. In any case this is nothing to worry about but personally I would not use this salt since it mixes high ALK. If you are a new reefer you might want to switch salts to using something that has lower alk - like the red sea blue bucket. High alk salts are usually better managed by experienced reefers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that SG/Temp combination for this salt you should be at 12 dkh not 14. I would recheck your salinity measure after recalibration. In any case this is nothing to worry about but personally I would not use this salt since it mixes high ALK. If you are a new reefer you might want to switch salts to using something that has lower alk - like the red sea blue bucket. High alk salts are usually better managed by experienced reefers.
I’m only planning to keep soft corals and maybe a couple easy lps so will they be ok at a higher alk?
I did by a lot of the salt and it would be such a waste of product and money to through it away.

Upvote 0

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only planning to keep soft corals and maybe a couple easy lps so will they be ok at a higher alk?
I did by a lot of the salt and it would be such a waste of product and money to through it away.

yes you should be fine with softies and some lps. Keep an eye on your nitrates/phospates - dont let them bottom out. Having a decent number of fishes should help with that.
When your salt gets over just switch to a lower alk ( and cheaper) salt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes you should be fine with softies and some lps. Keep an eye on your nitrates/phospates - dont let them bottom out. Having a decent number of fishes should help with that.
When your salt gets over just switch to a lower alk ( and cheaper) salt.
It’s a Fluval evo 13.5 and I’m planning on a shrimp-goby (Yasha), a dot dash blenny and clownfish. This seems like decent stocking for that size of tank.
Thanks very much for all the help! It very appreciated!

Upvote 0

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It mixes to my aquariums parameters.
one batch of Death Crystals gave me a magnesium so high that I couldn’t measure it with a kit . And one time a different batch would jack my alkalinity up , even with a 15% water change. .
here is a list of salts to choose from . This list is a couple years old but a guide.
97F51599-4342-49AD-B0A1-9557F2F4D0AF.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It mixes to my aquariums parameters.
one batch of Death Crystals gave me a magnesium so high that I couldn’t measure it with a kit . And one time a different batch would jack my alkalinity up , even with a 15% water change. .
here is a list of salts to choose from . This list is a couple years old but a guide.
97F51599-4342-49AD-B0A1-9557F2F4D0AF.png
This list is really useful. It explains why my alkalinity is high with red sea coral pro salt! This is my first time using a forum and I can’t believe how kind and helpful everyone is one here. Thanks very much!
I may convert to a different salt once I have finished the one I have now.
Although I have 20kg so it may take a while. :)

Upvote 0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try another test kits first. I have had allot of bad test kits especially Salifert.

14 is to high in my opinion with 8 to 12 being recommended by most.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
adamlodge14

adamlodge14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would another test kits first. I have had allot of bad test kits especially Salifert.

14 is to high in my opinion with 8 to 12 being recommended by most.
Ok, I will make sure not to put anything in until my alk is lowered, I still have at least 4 weeks of cycling so things may have changed by then

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back