Alkatronic Users - I have a question!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my last tank Waterbox 100.3 I went all in with Neptune and bought the Trident/DoS and used it. It seemed to work well, I didn't care for the reagents deal, was expensive and you wasted alot when it was time to change. So I've been looking at other options and I've been stuck between the new Ion Director and the Mastertronic, I don't care for GHL very un user friendly interface and Mastertronic is just extremely expensive.

I started watching videos on all of them and came across one of the Alkatronic and didn't know this little tidbit that blew me away, it has a doser inside of it! I had originally thought you had to have the dosetronic with the Alkatronic to auto dose based upon test results. Now I see you don't have to.

Now I understand balancing your addivtives. Equal parts of both Alk/Calc and percentage of that with Mag. So Alkatronic would fall behind on that, you would either still need to dose by hand or get a doser or dosetronic to still add calc/mag.

But here's my question, this wasn't available when I had my Waterbox 100.3, Tropic Marin came out with AFR - All For Reef. This is all 3.

Has anyone used the Alkatronic to dose AFR instead of just Alk to keep All 3 stable?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that's the issue though. AFR is typically (from what I understand) dosed based on calcium uptake rather than alk?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AFR for dosing. The alkalinity is not as immediate a reaction as with calcium. It make take days or weeks to stabilize. From what I understand there is a bacterial reaction that has to occur for the alkalinity. I would be careful changing the dosing automatically with a alkalinity reading. Once you get it set it changes slowly over time as things grow. If I see the Calcium level starting to drop I just increase the dose a little. Since I have been dosing I use it half strength so the doser will run a little longer. It make it easier to control the dose that way.

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of doing this at some point but would get the all for Reef established first on a separate Doser. This separate Doser can be controlled by the outlet that came with the AT or other controller system. Then use the AT with soda ash or something to fine tune. Also eventually tune the testing interval and the Alk target range.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back