All For Reef Dosing Messing up API Tests?

Esak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started adding a few smaller LPS frags into my new tank but noticed my Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium were all pretty low on testing (see test results below). I decided to try just manually dosing All-For-Reef to see if I could bring the levels up.

I have done per the recommendation and started dosing about 6.5 mL daily in my 35 Waterbox AIO (33 gallon system).

My tank has been going for about 3 months and my parameters have been around:

Calcium280 ppm
Alkalinity6 dKH
Magnesium840 ppm

PH8.1
Salinity1.025
Temp78 F

After dosing the 6.5 mL daily for three days I tested calcium and Alkalinity with the API test, but could not get them to produce any results (wouldn't change colors)
I tested Magnesium with Salifert test, and got a similar result of 840 ppm..

Is the All-For-Reef messing up my tests?
Does this figure itself out after a week or two of dosing?

Thanks,

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just started adding a few smaller LPS frags into my new tank but noticed my Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium were all pretty low on testing (see test results below). I decided to try just manually dosing All-For-Reef to see if I could bring the levels up.

I have done per the recommendation and started dosing about 6.5 mL daily in my 35 Waterbox AIO (33 gallon system).

My tank has been going for about 3 months and my parameters have been around:

Calcium280 ppm
Alkalinity6 dKH
Magnesium840 ppm

PH8.1
Salinity1.025
Temp78 F

After dosing the 6.5 mL daily for three days I tested calcium and Alkalinity with the API test, but could not get them to produce any results (wouldn't change colors)
I tested Magnesium with Salifert test, and got a similar result of 840 ppm..

Is the All-For-Reef messing up my tests?
Does this figure itself out after a week or two of dosing?

Thanks,
Personally, I would not go with API. They're not very accurate. I use Hanna and Salifert

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2984F6CA-F9F0-49DD-89D5-AF41663DE71A.jpeg
imo best place for api Salfert are accurate

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nman Haha love the image!

@Thuan thanks for the recommendations.

@blaxsun yes, I do a weekly 15% water change using instant ocean salts.
This is your next image for today lol . All the best with your tank
4DC972CA-1DF2-4C6A-8B73-EEB85F4FAB64.jpeg

Last edited:

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WaterBox is a really nice AIO congrats, I will second that API is not great for this. Go with salifert for now, if you can get a Hanna for the dKh you'll probably end up liking that. It's much easier to test dKh with hanna especially if you're testing dKh often...and PS All for Reef is a really great product to start with and is good for maintaining levels. Be careful not to increase dosing too fast as it can be difficult to get Mag down in the long run.

OP
OP
Esak

Esak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! This has been super helpful. I'll switch to Salifert definitely. I'll retest, and make sure to not dose too much of All for Reef.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
West coast nice too meet you Thaun Are you over the pond
My hubby and I and our 2 little girls are in the US. (Colorado.). My hubby's family in in Perton (about 20 mins from Telford and about an hr from Birmingham.) planning to go back next summer so my girls can go to Harry Potter Land in London

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks everyone! This has been super helpful. I'll switch to Salifert definitely. I'll retest, and make sure to not dose too much of All for Reef.
I have always used ESV 2-part. I used to dose about 12 ml/day, but I've had to increase it since adding more acros and I've several colonies. Key is to add it slow, and keep testing until you get the level you want. I test with both Hanna and Salifert to make sure they're consistent

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Where are you in the UK? My in-laws is in the UK and my family visit ever 2 yrs.
My hubby and I and our 2 little girls are in the US. (Colorado.). My hubby's family in in Perton (about 20 mins from Telford and about an hr from Birmingham.) planning to go back next summer so my girls can go to Harry Potter Land in London
Hey get your selves over and enjoy Harry Potter and London . Have worked in London nice place for a break for the family. Good to meet yous. Happy reefing

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back