All my fish died in 24 hours

emoneydabz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s the deal I have about 5 tanks and I recently ordered snails and hermits and some other inverts from reef cleaners and I put them in 3 of my tanks and within 48 hours all my fish have died in those 3 tanks and the tanks, I didn’t put any in all those fish are fine and I have only had 2 fish ever die in the 4 months I have been in this hobby and I changed nothing other then adding the inverts from reef cleaners and now all my fish are gone and of course they say it’s not there fault and there not paying for my fish like this is crap and reef cleaners are a bunch of clowns I heard nothing but hood reviews and that’s why I gave them a shot and that was the worst decision I have ever made in this hobby yet now I’m out $500+ in fish and am scared to get any new ones cause whatever the was on the hermits is prob gonna kill any fish I put in the tanks so beware buying from them they prob have any bad reviews deleted and I will be suprised if this post even makes it to the forum

A5CFDF7B-A336-4F98-95FF-9A0428653DA7.jpeg 7C7AC5D3-AE1A-4043-B98B-1774ADCDB091.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your experience. It’s hard losing the fish you love and care for. I can’t tell you what happened but I can assure you, I and many more have been there. My only advice is to seek out and stick with a LFS you can trust. I had velvet wipe out my tank with fish from all over the world and from many different companies. Fish I had for years. Since then I restocked slowly at the same store that my only two survivors came from.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things can go wrong with anything wet you add from any source. Remember these snails come from the ocean.

I am not sure what could kill fish in 24 hours that is on a snail. Even if they have velvet cysts, it would not be enough to eliminate all fish. It would need time to multiply to numbers enough to take every thing out quickly.

Maybe ammonia if you added a lot of snails idk.

Last edited by a moderator:

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing the details of the tanks, etc it's hard to say. Since it affected different types of fish in different tanks, it also sounds like potentially ammonia poisoning.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention anything about your tank parameters or if you are monitoring anything. What is and what was the measurements of these parameters before and after the incident:
  • Water temperature
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate
  • pH

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to the size of each tank and number of snails added to each. I know if you get a package he mails about 1000 dwarf cerniths.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, adding snails and thence dead fish is possible but not probable.
But OTOH:
As correctly stated, adding anything wet to something wet always risk disease transmission…

About the only thing I’ve seen kill that fast is bacterial, and IME vibrio, which I’ve mis-identified twice
added:not to defend per se, but just for sample: ReefCleaners has treated me well, esp. with replacements… their good reputation has some merit

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you the same person, or spouse of the person, who started another thread about this happening? The screen name is different but both accounts are from the same city, both accounts started at about the same time, and with almost an identical description of what happened. If you are the same person why feel the need to retell your story from a different account?

If there is something about the inverts from reef cleaners that killed your fish other people would likely have the same thing happen. I know it seems like an impossible coincidence but I doubt there is anything from adding the inverts that would kill your fish that quickly.

Here is a link to the other thread I was referring to.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish.
I guess the million dollar question is;
How long we’re the new inverts in transport polluting the water in the bag and did that toxic water get into your tanks?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GTinnel

if you caught that detail I’m shocked and amazed I truly thought it was a new account thats keen keen keen reefing of you. Im buying you a digital coffee @nd cake right now.

I had already boarded the anti reef cleaners train, stowed baggage, got out USA Today newspaper and began thumbing through while looking down through the bottom of my glasses. I was wearing suspenders too

Last edited:

MarkDarnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you the same person, or spouse of the person, who started another thread about this happening? The screen name is different but both accounts are from the same city, both accounts started at about the same time, and with almost an identical description of what happened. If you are the same person why feel the need to retell your story from a different account?

If there is something about the inverts from reef cleaners that killed your fish other people would likely have the same thing happen. I know it seems like an impossible coincidence but I doubt there is anything from adding the inverts that would kill your fish that quickly.

Here is a link to the other thread I was referring to.

I think everyone that followed the other thread knows the answer to this question already.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emoney

Reef2reef is friendly with all reef boards. you should ask the question on reefcentral or nano-reef.com and link the threads here let’s see what they extract from tank details. Even in the other thread in fish forum not everyone agreed on causatives, it’s legit to inspect / how fish loss may or may not be associated to large CUC orders. I’ll still vote some other disease import happened six months ago and is manifesting now, coincidentally.

the disease control for your tanks is quarantine yes but clean fallow no…even adding these cuc members right from the bag/wet even if you didn’t input bag water/ breaks fallow protocol and therefore something else did it too six months ago.

compounding dirty fallow vs clean linear fallow and quarantine rules back in common fish disease

fish disease imported months ago, not cuc is my call from other thread post details. Truly would like to see how reefcentral would troubleshoot it, make some threads and link them here. Do one at thereeftank.com too that crew are good long term reefers / strong in the force

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone that followed the other thread knows the answer to this question already.
Brandon, has anyone ever told you, you have a way with words:) I read this thread and immediately thought of the other thread blaming reefcleaners. Not buying it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told since 1987 I have an offensive way with words/ working on it not
heh

truly interested to see what other forums extract, do some outbound detail hunting and post back links so we can watch their detective work.

the cardinals look skinny above n stressed. moreso than a dead fish should, Id think

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. It is possible that if you added a lot of dead snails to a tank - there could be an ammonia problem.
2. I would highly highly doubt disease.
3. When you opened the bags of snails - was there any odor?
4. Were your parameters ok - i.e. could you have shocked the CUC - and killed them somehow (copper? other toxins)
5. This is probably something for the vendor forum - and not here - and its also not recommended to use words that mask vulgarity.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you ruling out vectored disease say back in February

if he added a clearly smelly bag of dead cuc I’d consider ammonia shock

does not run tanks with fallow by practice

but if that bag didn’t stink, and these guys add much more raw ammonia directly to reef tanks on purpose, I couldn’t see ammonia as a cause for the op:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cardinals look skinny above n stressed. moreso than a dead fish should, Id think
I agree that the pictures of the dead fish look pretty battered, unless they were being eaten by the CUC after death. I'd guess that the issue has more to do with the fact that they have fully stocked tanks that are only a few months old. Also, stating that they have ONLY lost 2 fish in 4 months doesn't go a long way in showing that the tanks were healthy and doing well to start with. I think if in 4 months I lost 2 fish I would slow down on adding anything else to the tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does the pajama cardinal have red around the gill area. I may be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am, but isn’t that a sign of ammonia burn. I'm starting to think they have tanks that weren't able to keep up with the bioload to start with.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back