All new tanks come pre-drilled for Hydra Mounts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a new 425 XL delivered, and there are 4 holes on the back panel. Pretty upsetting. Called up Red Sea, and I was told this is standard now. Why, ooh why would anyone drill that glass. Can someone confirm this please or am I getting the runaround?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a new 425 XL delivered, and there are 4 holes on the back panel. Pretty upsetting. Called up Red Sea, and I was told this is standard now. Why, ooh why would anyone drill that glass. Can someone confirm this please or am I getting the runaround?
I have read that as well. I ordered my 250 in December and was actually pleased to find it must have been sitting at the vendors cause the inside of the stand was white and it had no holes for the hydra mounts. I was a little disappointed when I read that as well as I would not ever have a use for the holes.
Seems like it should only come on the deluxe setups, since those lights come with.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wait, are the holes drilled on the back panel of the cabinet or the back panels of the glass!?! A little confused here.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glass.
4096457d22f93719ed146575351dd86c.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kinda defeats the purpose of the whole Reefer Series concept. Aren't WE the ones who are supposed to upgrade it how WE see fit? I'm pretty sure you didn't sign up for a tank with unnecessary holes drilled in it. If this is how the normal Reefer series will be moving forward, Red Sea just took a pretty serious hit in my book. This will definitely sway me towards SC Aquariums for my next upgrade.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am working on getting more info on it, will share as I learn more. Honestly if you plan on keeping the black background on it's not that huge of a deal. But I love how @Broadfield built his tank and this was my inspiration, on a clear background two black hexagons on either side is disappointing to say the least.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that might be a deal breaker. I was looking forward to the 625XL/750XL being released. Planned on using the multiple G4 Radions I have If I were to pick up the new reefer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for starting this thread and sorry about your glass holes. It's not right and looks like RS has took a big stake into those Hydra's and even making the newer reefers to push more Hydra's.

I'd be upset too and it's the opposite of what the reefer series was meant to be from the beginning.

They're not drilling the holes in your glass to help you out. They are trying to force Hydra's down your throat!

Greed, Greed, Greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the older t5 S-400. They would not sale my lfs the new led S frame by itself so I could put what brand of led's I wanted into the led frame.
It's not right and it's just outright greedy!

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kinda defeats the purpose of the whole Reefer Series concept. Aren't WE the ones who are supposed to upgrade it how WE see fit? I'm pretty sure you didn't sign up for a tank with unnecessary holes drilled in it. If this is how the normal Reefer series will be moving forward, Red Sea just took a pretty serious hit in my book.
+1

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth SCA is high quality and has great customer service and is significantly less expensive.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first Red Sea tank I bought was the old 130. Then I bought a RS S-400 in 2013.
In my opinion from 2013 until now the bean counters have really took over and it saddens me.

If your buying a reefer your glass should not be pre-drilled for any light brand.

If you have a old S Series and you want the new led frame then you should not have to buy the Hydra's to get the frame that lines up to your old S series.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for starting this thread and sorry about your glass holes. It's not right and looks like RS has took a big stake into those Hydra's and even making the newer reefers to push more Hydra's.

I'd be upset too and it's the opposite of what the reefer series was meant to be from the beginning.

They're not drilling the holes in your glass to help you out. They are trying to force Hydra's down your throat!

Greed, Greed, Greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the older t5 S-400. They would not sale my lfs the new led S frame by itself so I could put what brand of led's I wanted into the led frame.
It's not right and it's just outright greedy!

I spoke to the Red Sea team and this is temporary, there's a new mounting system in progress which will not required holes in the glass panel.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to the Red Sea team and this is temporary, there's a new mounting system in progress which will not required holes in the glass panel.

What does that mean for you? Will they let you swap out tanks for an undrilled one?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank God!

And which bean counter that made the glass drill hole call, in the first place. Should be taken out back and shot, immediately. :D

Lol,
What a moronic decision...

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with the Red Sea team and they stated this is no longer temporary but is permanent. They're making all reefer series going forward with the predrilled holes for the AI mounts. Sounds like they have an agreement with AI. They stated all Reefer series tanks with or without the complete AI package will be predrilled with no exceptions. Total Bummer o_O

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back