All these anemones walking into powerheads... Carelessness or inevitable?

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyday I read a thread about an anemone getting torn up, and people talking about it like it's unavoidable. I personally have an mp10 and a new anemone. I use the foam guard, so the prop is only exposed on front where it's blowing. Is the guard not enough to stop the little buggers?

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the foam filter slow the water flow through the powerhead?

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah I hear you on that I've only had one nem sucked into a power head but I watched it happen an was able to stop it right away ever since I guard all my mps and gyres but I feel if you're an expert nem keeper and have a decent amount of knowledge you can get your nem established in an aquarium that is stable so they don't move or you let them pick a spot then turn your flow back on because even though I cover my power heads I've never seen another nem get close to them :)

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Seems like everyday I read a thread about an anemone getting torn up, and people talking about it like it's unavoidable. I personally have an mp10 and a new anemone. I use the foam guard, so the prop is only exposed on front where it's blowing. Is the guard not enough to stop the little buggers?
Anya pics of the new nem?

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is mine an he don't move from his perch.
14713989711371521037726.jpg

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anya pics of the new nem?

Of course! He's only been in for 2 hours. Lights are off until morning, but I turned the room light on for a moment for a pic.

Here's during drip...

a469c507fc9938c0d177d99d08f70706_thumb.jpg

And now...

92d171d1b10f3211a949a459efcf2970_thumb.jpg

I didn't put him near where I hope he ends up. I put him at the bottom in a place that may have a bit of shade. Also enabled acclimation mode on the radion. He'll move to where he likes right, or should I put him in the general area that is like him to end up? First nem. [emoji16]

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK....I covered mine when I first got my Nem (now Nems) and...covering greatly reduced flow and were an eye sore. It was just ugly. Tried it a few ways an nope not happy with it.
Perhaps I was using to thick of pads.

After a few weeks I removed them, as my Nems havnt Moved from the rock I set them on on the first day. Once in a while they will move an inch up...sometimes an inch down. but besides that havnt had the ALL over the tank issue.
Hopefully that just means they are happy and will Stay rather then its just a matter of time thing.

Still have the pads... figure they will go on if they start moving.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nems seem to detach it's foot when not happy and goes floating in the current. That is when they get sucked into a powerhead. Here's my heart stopping moment. It did survive.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines never moved, I've moved it to new house, transfered in to and from 3 tanks in last 3 months, it's never moved from the spot I put it.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Wish you the best some of them are tough to keep around.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTAs do not move much at all. Couple inches. My rocks only if really unhappy. My maxi minis sometimes travel a bit, but always attached. My LTA has been a nomad though. Always on the go. I am trying a few tricks from people on here and see if I can get it settled. Only ever had one get near power head. Survived, but scared me to death. Knock on wood! Yes it was the lta. :)

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked about this before on this forum and asked about the foam ( which I use as we'll on my MP10's also) I got no responses that I remember. I could have forgotten but it's a great question
The other thing I like is that the foam catch a lot of crap floating around I wonder how much is being caught and the skimmer doesn't have to work so hard

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back