Allons-y!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get the party started! Some of you will remember my previous, short-lived, build thread from last summer/fall, and for those that don't, here's the link. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-procrastination-is-over.920159/

I don't want to rehash the original drama; suffice to say that things got a *bit* delayed, lol! Plus, there's new drama to regale you with, so let's go!! It's going to be

doctor who GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post more later about what I've done on the build over the past few months, but here's what I did this week:

Tuesday, I did about a 20 gallon water change on my 90, and saved the water so I could rinse the new sand in it without having to worry about the chlorine in my tap water... plus, there's an interesting experiment @Dan_P talks about here that I wanted to try out (not sure if it worked, but anyway...)
The plan was to rinse the new bags of Caribsea Fiji Pink sand on Wednesday while mixing saltwater for the new tank.

So, not too long ago I bought an AquaticLife Smart Buddie Booster Pump. This thing is great! It's totally turnkey - even has its own flow restrictor and safety shut off so the pump doesn't run dry.

Wednesday while I was working (from home), I filtered water into a couple 32 gallon Brute cans. I used to fill a 5 gallon water container in a little under 2 hours.
With the pump, I'm able to make over 32 gallons in under 4 hours!

Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the alarm on my phone while filling the second can... Spend that evening and half the night with a shop vac and a few fans trying to dry out my carpet in my bathroom :(

(Yes, I know I can use a float valve; that's not the point. Right now my RODI does not have a permanent home so I have it in my master bathroom and wheel the trash cans in and out.)

So no real work on the tank Wednesday.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was more RODI-making, salt mixing, and tank filling. Made it just to the overflow before having to stop for the night. Cleared up in about an hour with the micron filter.

PXL_20230304_015010100.jpg

PXL_20230304_023108906.jpg

PXL_20230304_055656822.jpg

I do think I'll have to remove some of the sand but it's pretty for now :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan for today was to finish filling the tank and sump, get the skimmer and other equipment going, add some established media, and test general parameters (heaters are in the display for now).

But I'm so exhausted from yesterday that I'm still in my PJs. I've also got some joint pain thing that my docs have been trying to figure out and my hands are not good this morning. I may need to hit pause today and get back to the real work on the tank tomorrow.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so pretty!!

The build is so exciting! That micron filter is a beast. I had like 4 of them and I charged them with diatom powder. It was something else!

I am following this build thread! :)

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so pretty!!

The build is so exciting! That micron filter is a beast. I had like 4 of them and I charged them with diatom powder. It was something else!

I am following this build thread! :)
Aww, thanks :kissing-face-with-closed-eyes:

Yeah, "exciting" is one word for it, lol!

Lots of frustration along the way which I may or may not bother to post, but I'm SOOO looking forward to getting everything moved in!!

(And I have some DE to charge the filter if needed but it wasn't necessary for this.)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning off a rock from my display to put in the new tank... Can you say brittle stars?? There were so many more still in the rock!
(I tried removing them before spraying the algae on the other side of the rock with H2O2)

PXL_20230305_060712183.jpg PXL_20230305_063218047.jpg

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like build threads, room for one more in here?!

Looking good! What's the volume of the new system? Love the stand too btw, looks fantastic!
Sorry about that, guess I'm not following build thread protocol very well.

Tank info in next post.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back