OP
OP
johnlanders3

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bar just turning grey? Hard to tell from photo. I have seen clownfish bars turn grey.. just seems to be a mutation. Usually it is the tail though and they call this "dirty tail".

The fish does look kind of bloated and bar is almost sunken? So it's possible something is going on here.

You won't be able to fit all those fish in a 29g. Aggression will likely be an issue. Clownfish should be kept to 2 per tank, especially small tanks as they tend to pair off then fight others when they mature. I probably would not add the black damsel, depending what kind it is.. but being black, it is probably a feisty one and potentially gets large.

Angelfish can also turn into bullies. Having lots of swimming space and swim throughs/rock/territory can help.

You got a list of a lot of nice fish there, just need to settle on which ones to keep.
Thanks for the advice. My son is pushing for a 100g tank so that looks like the upgrade soon.
The white stripes (all) on the Clown are turning gray/ dark. Noticed unusual swimming today too.

Attachments

• 20220917_120127.jpg
    20220917_120127.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 38

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Yep, that is not a good swim position for clowns. They are weird, but that is not normal at all unless it was plucking for a nest (which these are way too young to do).

Definitely too many fish for the 29g. The damsels, depending on types can get big and mean. I love damsels, but never found a friendly black one.

Do you want to stick with fish only in the system? If so, you can run at lower salinity to keep parasite load down. It is what commercial systems and many pet stores do.

It will be fun for you and your son!

OP
OP
johnlanders3

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Yep, that is not a good swim position for clowns. They are weird, but that is not normal at all unless it was plucking for a nest (which these are way too young to do).

Definitely too many fish for the 29g. The damsels, depending on types can get big and mean. I love damsels, but never found a friendly black one.

Do you want to stick with fish only in the system? If so, you can run at lower salinity to keep parasite load down. It is what commercial systems and many pet stores do.

It will be fun for you and your son!
Thanks.. Looks like off to find a bigger tank to get things started sooner rather than latter.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha everyone! New to the saltwater fish aquarium world with my son. He is 13 and for has his first tanks. 29 gallon and a 10 gallon. 10 gallon he calls his hospital tank. After he has cycled the tank for a few months, he opted for a few fish to start with. A couple clowns, yellowtail damsel, angel, engineer goby. We adopted a black damsel and 2 other black clown fish and a lawnmower blenney, currently in hospital tank as we aren't sure if the damsels can stay together.

One of the clowns in the photo just started this change in color of the white stripes. I think it's a parasite, but don't know. My son does most of the research on these and asks Petco people questions. Not sure they really know what their talking about or just trying to sell more.
Anyone have suggestions on the clownfish? Color? Treatments? Or is it nothing?

20220917_090421.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great hobby for your family!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Hawaii:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. My son is pushing for a 100g tank so that looks like the upgrade soon.
The white stripes (all) on the Clown are turning gray/ dark. Noticed unusual swimming today too.

All the bars turning grey is concerning for sure. Is the fish eating at all?

I would not say the bars turning grey is indicative of any specific parasite but its possible this fish is unwell from something. Especially if it is not eating. Healthy clownfish are not shy about food.

OP
OP
johnlanders3

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the bars turning grey is concerning for sure. Is the fish eating at all?

I would not say the bars turning grey is indicative of any specific parasite but its possible this fish is unwell from something. Especially if it is not eating. Healthy clownfish are not shy about food.
The odd thing is he does we eat.. just color change not something we read about anywhere.

OP
OP
johnlanders3

johnlanders3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stayed at the Westin Hapuna resort In February. Most beautiful place wife and I have been! Seeing Humpbacks up close was the most humbling thing I've ever done, welcome sir!
Aloha! I work at Wai'ula'ula at Mauna Kea Resort, right by the Westin. There 5-7 days a week.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing is he does we eat.. just color change not something we read about anywhere.

I had some clowns that lived in sump for about a month before going to new home. They changed color... they looked like typical $30 clowns when they were in my display, but they were looking like much darker designer expensive clowns by the time they move on.

This was a good reminder to find out if their colors returned back to orangy or if they stayed darker (even whites when more tan).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back