Am I going overstocked soon?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I've never actually seen anyone have a horseshoe crab die on them, but maybe that's because I've mostly been reading about them in aquaculture conditions.
Same, but they are also essentially dinosaurs in way of evolution so theyve been around a fatttt minute lol

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I've never actually seen anyone have a horseshoe crab die on them, but maybe that's because I've mostly been reading about them in aquaculture conditions.
You’ve also probably never seen one full size in an aquarium which is 2 feet in length and 12 inches wide.

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve also probably never seen one full size in an aquarium which is 2 feet in length and 12 inches wide.
Seen them at max size in public aquariums before. They were kept with a bunch of leopard sharks(wrong ocean but eh) and sometimes they would swim on the surface upside down. I'll just eat them when they get that big, plus sourcing Asian species that prefer tropical temperatures.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have 1 for sale

P.S i am from EU
Must be a bit different across the Atlantic then, I can't find anywhere else with them other than quality marine. It's a bit odd since they don't seem to have a very different range to Chaetodon and other commonly collected butterflies.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen them at max size in public aquariums before. They were kept with a bunch of leopard sharks(wrong ocean but eh) and sometimes they would swim on the surface upside down. I'll just eat them when they get that big, plus sourcing Asian species that prefer tropical temperatures.
Omg I would never eat mine lol I would bring her to my local aquarium when she gets max size lol Im too attached to her to eat her!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a bit different across the Atlantic then, I can't find anywhere else with them other than quality marine. It's a bit odd since they don't seem to have a very different range to Chaetodon and other commonly collected butterflies.
Possibly because they don't do well in captivity?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly because they don't do well in captivity?
Yeah, might be. There's very little I can find online about them in literature or otherwise, I'd personally be wary.
But then this isn't the case for corallivorous butterflies from what I've seen, despite them being known to be difficult. Doesn't necessarily contradict the argument though.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I run an 80 gal reef with currently 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 dusky(marginatus) wrasse, 1 pholidicthys, 1 Valenciennea strigata, 1 longnosed hawk, and 1 unimaculatus foxface. Am I overstocked? How much extra capacity do I have if I'm not?

All of these except for the pholidicthys are middle - of - the - column fish, which I didn't expect, especially for the goby. Nutrients are all under control(god bless chaeto)
No, close but not over…..and Im usually honest about folks overstocking…

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a butterfly why not get the long nose butterfly i have never owned a butterfly so do some research and don't take my word for it but i believe these do alot better than the copperbands

longnose butterfly.png

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a butterfly why not get the long nose butterfly i have never owned a butterfly so do some research and don't take my word for it but i believe these do alot better than the copperbands

longnose butterfly.png
that is... literally my initial proposal. Forcipiger longirostris. That one is flavissimus though, which has been listed as a corallivore.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is... literally my initial proposal. Forcipiger longirostris. That one is flavissimus though, which has been listed as a corallivore.
They’re said to be more risky with coral… I’ve not seen it personally. I’ve had a Copperband and trust me, from having this guy I can already see a difference.
IMG_7694.jpeg

Copperbands are a pain to get settled in a high activity display, these guys however go in and will fight their way through. And for aiptasia, they do a much better job and seem to go for them more often.

I personally love this guy as he has what looks like a Mohawk and he runs round the tank with my foxface as though he’s in a gang.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re said to be more risky with coral… I’ve not seen it personally. I’ve had a Copperband and trust me, from having this guy I can already see a difference.
IMG_7694.jpeg

Copperbands are a pain to get settled in a high activity display, these guys however go in and will fight their way through. And for aiptasia, they do a much better job and seem to go for them more often.

I personally love this guy as he has what looks like a Mohawk and he runs round the tank with my foxface as though he’s in a gang.
Everywhere I look there is a "don't trust butterflies" sign hanging on the wall, so I'm still not 100% confident on these guys, but I do want one...

although on another note, I managed to convince my mum out of cardinals because those things are stupid expensive here. Can you believe a threadfin costs $40 each?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I look there is a "don't trust butterflies" sign hanging on the wall, so I'm still not 100% confident on these guys, but I do want one...
I have mine with a multitude of coral;
Leathers
Hammers
Torches
Mushrooms
Mini maxi carpet nem (not a coral I know)
Chili

And a few others I may be missing. Nothing gets touched by him. I know your caution, but honestly nothing is better than just trying it :)

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a few others I may be missing. Nothing gets touched by him. I know your caution, but honestly nothing is better than just trying it :)
That's right... I wouldn't want to go into this uninformed, but getting my own experience is never a bad thing.
My wallet would say otherwise but oh well

before someone goes confirmation bias on me I am currently doing a unit on the growth mindset and this seemed to be the exact kinda **** I'd be up to

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back