Parachaetodon ocellatus

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs just got a trio of these guys in, and I heard they are on the reef safe side of butterflies. Have anyone kept them and can share some experience with me? I'm not sure if this guy's on the tougher side for a butterfly, but this is one of those fish that I thought was never going to be in the trade when I browsed through fishbase and I thought it would be cool to have one of them.

Also, will they eat anemones? The website of my LFS said they will attack anemones that are not guarded by clownfish, which I don't really want to happen to my bubbletips. I don't have clowns yet because I plan to introduce him last.

80 gallon mixed reef, fish - relevant parameters stable and nutrients bottomed out. Cleaner wrasse, dusky wrasse, unimaculatus foxface, pholidicthys, longnose hawk, and Valenciennea strigata.
there's also a Dascyllus in the sump but we don't care about him.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little research on this fish, I found divided opinions on its feeding in captivity, it's possible that it takes food without problems or that it's quite picky and starts feeding on black worms for example, it's possible that it has some problems with small invertebrates which is what they feed on in nature, I suppose that a well fed fish reduces the risk in a reef tank, but that would have to be "trained" in a qt.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two pairs of this butterfly. Each time one fish would not eat and fade away and the other would eat well then just die after about a month in captivity. They are not reef safe. In nature, there main food is anemones.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two pairs of this butterfly. Each time one fish would not eat and fade away and the other would eat well then just die after about a month in captivity. They are not reef safe. In nature, there main food is anemones.
dangit… I gotcha. No go then I guess. It’s copperbands all over again.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back