Am I ready for SPS?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this Acro 2 weeks ago and so far it has already colored up and fully extended. Looks way better then the time I bought it at my LFS. Tank is 10 months old. Also what kind of Acro is this? Picture was taken during the night.

5FE38A6B-E189-4C49-9CD5-5CB81F0028A4.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this Acro 2 weeks ago and so far it has already colored up and fully extended. Looks way better then the time I bought it at my LFS. Tank is 10 months old. Also what kind of Acro is this? Picture was taken during the night.

5FE38A6B-E189-4C49-9CD5-5CB81F0028A4.jpeg
To me it looks like a Toxic Green Acro, if it’s already growing and colouring up then I think your tank is ready for SPS. I recommend starting out with the easier ones that you like the look of (I like the look of staghorns, I accidentally killed my small colony of green Staghorn) I also recommend going for the cheaper of the SPS and when you grow them, start going up to the my pricey ones.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like a Toxic Green Acro, if it’s already growing and colouring up then I think your tank is ready for SPS. I recommend starting out with the easier ones that you like the look of (I like the look of staghorns, I accidentally killed my small colony of green Staghorn) I also recommend going for the cheaper of the SPS and when you grow them, start going up to the my pricey ones.
I was thinking about getting a red dragon? I heard it’s easy and grows fast. Especially love the color

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting a red dragon? I heard it’s easy and grows fast. Especially love the color
To me that would be fine. I love the colours now I have seen images of them, I might have to try get a drag of that in my tank now I’ve gotten rid of the stuff that killed my Staghorn.
I recommend the Staghorn coral if you can keep up with staying on top of it. They grow fast if they’re in the right conditions (Mine was in the tank about 2-3 weeks and grew about 3” more in total, both in height and the amount of branches going out of it)
They come in different colours and they’re possibly the easiest acro to keep.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, thats a good choice. purple stylo , seriatopora/birdnest is good, pocliopora is good too but they can be invasive sometime.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with acros, there’s no start and no end you could start anywhere depending on how much you want to break the bank with your second acro frag

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that would be fine. I love the colours now I have seen images of them, I might have to try get a drag of that in my tank now I’ve gotten rid of the stuff that killed my Staghorn.
I recommend the Staghorn coral if you can keep up with staying on top of it. They grow fast if they’re in the right conditions (Mine was in the tank about 2-3 weeks and grew about 3” more in total, both in height and the amount of branches going out of it)
They come in different colours and they’re possibly the easiest acro to keep.
Thank you I will look into it. What website do u buy your corals from?

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, thats a good choice. purple stylo , seriatopora/birdnest is good, pocliopora is good too but they can be invasive sometime.
Thanks! Definitely will get those. I’ll try to isolate it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will look into it. What website do u buy your corals from?
It’s often LiveAquaria where I look at the corals and then I check my LFS to see which ones they have in

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s often LiveAquaria where I look at the corals and then I check my LFS to see which ones they have in
Dam I have to drive an hour to a good LFS for mine . Really hard with a baby and a wife that doesn’t support your hobby lol

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with careful manipulation you can get the kid to back you up. Start playing finding Nemo at least 4-5 times per week. Regarding the sps, just keep it up make sure all your parameters are stable. Red dragon does grow super fast. Where are you located?

Attachments

• 7109B51E-91D5-4ACD-9BDF-D41B56733FDC.jpeg
    7109B51E-91D5-4ACD-9BDF-D41B56733FDC.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with careful manipulation you can get the kid to back you up. Start playing finding Nemo at least 4-5 times per week. Regarding the sps, just keep it up make sure all your parameters are stable. Red dragon does grow super fast. Where are you located?
Omg so Simple and pretty. Northern California

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respond to your thread title the same way I respond to those who ask how much something costs. If you have to ask, the answer is probably no. ;)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dam I have to drive an hour to a good LFS for mine . Really hard with a baby and a wife that doesn’t support your hobby lol
If you are wanting to buy online A Reef Creation is having a live sale this weekend. If you can commit a large amount of time to refreshing a website for two days you can get some phenomenal deals.
Also for SPS I really like BattleCorals. Many people buy what he calls a Battle Box, which is where you pick a dollar value and number of corals and he picks what exact corals you get. He is always very generous when he picks out the corals.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With SPS, I think you really need to put them into 2 groups 1) beginner acros like the green slimer you got + the majority of non- acro SPS, like birdsnest, stylos, montis, etc. And 2) higher end acros.

The issue here is strictly lighting requirement. Everything in group 1 can do well under 250 to 350 PAR. However, once you get into high end Acros with those crazy multiple flouresence colorsin group 2, you will need to get them to 400 to 600PAR to maintain the colors. If your tank can achieve that high level then you also gotta think about placement of group 1 bc you dont want them to burn.

EDIT: the lower par acros mostly flouresce green/cyan color bc that's what can be maintained in 250 to 350 par. Thats why most "beginner" acros are some shade of green

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your looking for the best bang for your buck on acros, don't use a website, buy them from reputable hobbyists on the platform. If you do use a site, for acropora I think Tck corals sales come out to fair prices.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the growth speed, is it Staghorn speed (Like 2-3cm every week)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With SPS, I think you really need to put them into 2 groups 1) beginner acros like the green slimer you got + the majority of non- acro SPS, like birdsnest, stylos, montis, etc. And 2) higher end acros.

The issue here is strictly lighting requirement. Everything in group 1 can do well under 250 to 350 PAR. However, once you get into high end Acros with those crazy multiple flouresence colorsin group 2, you will need to get them to 400 to 600PAR to maintain the colors. If your tank can achieve that high level then you also gotta think about placement of group 1 bc you dont want them to burn.

EDIT: the lower par acros mostly flouresce green/cyan color bc that's what can be maintained in 250 to 350 par. Thats why most "beginner" acros are some shade of green
is the “Lime in the sky” acro a high end or hardier acro?

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the “Green in the sky” acro a high end or hardier acro?
Not familiar with that name but I just googled it. It actually looks like what I have lol.. i got a forest green slimer that I blasted (after acclimating) with 400 par of blue and it started to show some blue.

How much is it? If it's cheap then try it out.

TBH, from the pic at least, it just looks like bc of the higher par, the coral just reduced its zoox density (which is brown) so the flesh looks lighter. Combine that with the white bone which is now more visible, and the heavy blue light, you get this hint of blue flouresence. So it looks like just sellers adding fancy names for a slight color shift of a common acro.

I could be totally off base here since this is just my first reaction based on the pics I googled. But just generally speaking, greens are all lower par need. Its the red, pink, yellows that need really high par.

My .50

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with that name but I just googled it. It actually looks like what I have lol.. i got a forest green slimer that I blasted (after acclimating) with 400 par of blue and it started to show some blue.

How much is it? If it's cheap then try it out.

TBH, from the pic at least, it just looks like bc of the higher par, the coral just reduced its zoox density (which is brown) so the flesh looks lighter. Combine that with the white bone which is now more visible, and the heavy blue light, you get this hint of blue flouresence. So it looks like just sellers adding fancy names for a slight color shift of a common acro.

I could be totally off base here since this is just my first reaction based on the pics I googled. But just generally speaking, greens are all lower par need. Its the red, pink, yellows that need really high par.

My .50
I’ll probably try one then. My nano is around 6 months old now so if it’s cheap I’ll maybe try it in there first then move it into the 20 month of 4’ tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back