Amazon Grow Light for Refugium Light Review

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Relassy light from Amazon for around $100 USD.
Link to View on Amazon

There are scores of grow lights no on Amazon with a huge price range and build quality. I wanted to try a light different than Kessil (too much $$) and not an AI Prime Fuge (only 40 watts).
I also wanted the light to be quiet, I don't like the loud fans that come on the standard black box lights. I wanted to keep price around $100 USD.

I have not tested the light for power but on the website it says it draws 130 watts which makes sense because this is about the standard black box wattage. It has a dedicated internal power supply and a heat sink. It also has temperature controlled fans that will turn on when the unit gets warm and will turn off below a set threshold. It has both grow and bloom dimmers which is basically red and light blue. I set it mostly to red and some blues to try and mimic what the Kessil and AI Prime Fuge look like.

In my Fuge I am growing Sea Lettuce / Ulva and Chaeto - the sea lettuce has exploded more than the Chaeto. The light is very powerful and puts out a LOT of par, it is plenty bright. I should be about 3X more powerful and AI Prime Fuge light (130W vs 40W). I run it overnight for 12 hours. The fans are slightly quieter than standard black box although you can definitely hear them. If you turn the light down to less than 25% which is still plenty bright, the fans don't ever come on. The fan noise doesn't bother me overnight obviously.

This is my second unit, the first had issues lighting one of the channels so I exchanged it. So Im not sure the build quality is the highest. The unit never gets too hot because the fans turn on to cool it. Just some warm air coming from body. In my 150g reef I was dosing nitrates and they were 6ppm. I keep feeding normally, about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of pellets and small amount frozen daily and the Fuge brought nitrates down to 0 in less than a week. So it appears to be working very well. Another benefit is that with the bottom being flat I painted some acrylic black to hide the light from escaping - so no algae growth in rest of sump

Again not sure about longevity but its a very powerful grow light that won't break your wallet. If your reefing hobby ends you can always grow other green stuff with it or sell it to someone who wants to grow the green.

IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2948.JPG
Screen Shot 2019-10-05 at 8.44.30 AM.png

The1HunnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this Relassy is entirely different than mine which is white, really thin, and has no fans—though the entire back panel is aluminum and I haven’t noticed the lights being very hot. I love mine, but it’s interesting to see there are multiple versions. I should specify which version I have in future posts so I’m attaching a pic of mine on Amazon. Thanks for sharing!

42633178-374C-4118-A625-AB552BB7475A.jpeg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back