Amazon trustworthy for reef products?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy reef stuff from trusted online retailers like BRS, aquacave, and saltwateraquarium.com and my LFS but sometimes Amazon pulls me in because it's just too easy, especially when you have Prime and the guys at my LFS are really unpleasant people. Are there products on Amazon that you just wouldn't buy?

I've been having measurement issues and I suspect either bad batch of salt (Reef Crystals) or bad alkalinity reagent for my Hanna checker, both of which were purchased on Amazon. Am I being paranoid?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon is not the company providing you the products, individual sellers are, amazon simply holds and ships the products. Whenever I buy reefing products from amazon I look at the seller, and if there are multiple options try to go with the most reputable/well known one.

Overall though, I have never had problems with purchasing products for reefing through amazon.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As above, the seller is generally not Amazon. I've purchased reef products from Amazon numerous times and never had an issue. You'll notice the sellers are often recognizable, such as Hamilton Lighting, Saltwater Aquarium, etc. If it were a third party that I did not recognize, I might think twice before buying something that has an expiration date (bacteria, phyto, etc.) so that you know you will receive a fresh product and not one that has sat on a shelf for an extended time.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy reef stuff from trusted online retailers like BRS, aquacave, and saltwateraquarium.com and my LFS but sometimes Amazon pulls me in because it's just too easy, especially when you have Prime and the guys at my LFS are really unpleasant people. Are there products on Amazon that you just wouldn't buy?

I've been having measurement issues and I suspect either bad batch of salt (Reef Crystals) or bad alkalinity reagent for my Hanna checker, both of which were purchased on Amazon. Am I being paranoid?
As mentioned previously, Amazon doesn’t know squat about reef keeping, but you can’t beat their customer service. Unless it’s a life or death issue for your reef inhabitants with a product you’re unfamiliar with, take a chance. Worse comes to worse, they’ll give you a full refund. Just make sure you within the stated return period.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great luck with well known sellers and less luck with unknown sellers. The unknowns tend to have subpar products (expired, damaged, etc)

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy a lot of reef supplies from Amazon... depends on what and whether or not it's something I would consider critical. As others have said, just check out the seller.
I haven't had any issues what so ever.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy reef items and supplies on Amazon daily, but salt is one that I buy from chewy or a reef supply store. I ordered salt on Amazon over 2 weeks ago and as of yesterday it hadn’t shipped so I cancelled it.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwateraquarium.com sells directly through Amazon, I've purchased things from them both way.

One thing you'll notice though is you won't find Ecotech and some of the other big names on there. I assume they are fairly strict with where they allow their product to be sold. Because of that I would never buy an Ecotech or other high end product on Amazon out of fear of counterfeit or getting scammed. Even saltwateraquarium.com doesn't list their Ecotech stuff on Amazon.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one or two items from Amazon and it actually came from Premium Aquatics based out of IN. I have also ordered from Premium Aquatic many times and they have great customer service so I was pleasantly surprised.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one or two items from Amazon and it actually came from Premium Aquatics based out of IN. I have also ordered from Premium Aquatic many times and they have great customer service so I was pleasantly surprised.
Yes, I have also purchased from them but only on Amazon. Never had a bad experience. Pretty sure that's where I get my Korallen-Zucht stuff from.

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things with expiration dates or are supposed to have expiration dates and they get rubbed off by unscrupulous sellers on Amazon... Is an issue. If you want to purchase something that would have an exp date... Make sure Amazon is the shipper. Easier return/refund method. I was burned once with a bottle of bacteria.

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can buy through amazon, but search to find the main storefront of the actual company, it's always better IMO. Take Jebao (Jacod) as an example. Their powerheads and pumps have a strong following of active owners, including me, and they have an Amazon storefront that sells and ships directly from Jebao (listed as "sold by Amazon"). I also buy stuff from saltwater aquarium.com---Nori, food, etc and never had an issue.

Most of my issues with amazon have been delayed shipping, or tweakers going through the neighborhood ripping off the UPS boxes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back