ammonia help

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the most random ammonia spike in my nano 10 gallon, its been setup since beginning of sept 2022, and i added a bubble tip anemone about a week and a half ago its been happy and all has been good until yesterday morning i woke up and it looked as if it had started to melt away and then perked right back up to full size and color by night time, then this morning the same thing has happened i ran tests yesterday at night time and all my levels were 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate ph 8.1 alk 8 its a softie tank so i dont test mag or calcium often so i didnt test that, but i water change once a week. This morning i woke up to do another water change because i tested the tank and its at .5 ammonia but nitrates have dropped down to 5 since doing two 20% water changes. im not over feeding and im doing 20% water changes weekly, the only thing ive added recently was some dry rock to aqua scape a bit better but everything else was here before the nem and all params were fine. is it possible the nem is causing the ammonia spikes? it seems like the ammonia gets high during night and drops to zero by lunch time when it fully reinflates. tank only has two two inch clownfish and a inch long coral beauty baby (doesnt nip or mess with and isnt permanent just is to small to live in my main system) any advice on what i can do or when to pull the nem out?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simply post a full tank picture for an easy cycle analysis.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your test kits are misleading you, the full tank picture will help.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing it could be is i scraped a rather heavy layer of algae off the front glass a few days ago right before all this happened.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 6DF9B0D4-B73A-4CA7-916A-556C98FFDAF1.jpeg
    6DF9B0D4-B73A-4CA7-916A-556C98FFDAF1.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 8F3D4FC8-EBC7-4F11-B908-49C6EBE2C1F9.jpeg
    8F3D4FC8-EBC7-4F11-B908-49C6EBE2C1F9.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 57

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no that won't do it, your non digital ammonia kits are responding to simple changes in the tank as confounds in reading, indicating a false ammonia issue.

post a full tank pic please showing all the life in the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we posted at the same time.

that tank has too much surface area to have an ammonia control issue, so your cycle is not the problem.

all the corals are normal, anemones open and close a lot.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we posted at the same time.

that tank has too much surface area to have an ammonia control issue, so your cycle is not the problem.

all the corals are normal, that's rather small tank to have an anemone but it's not dead and rotting either.
i know my parameters normally dont swing much at all in this tank and all my corals are happy as can be so i am totally stumped by this.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next up: post the pic of the most recent ammonia test, after you wait the required # of minutes per the directions for the reading to manifest. we need to see the actual ammonia kit

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way possible do you have an ammonia issue, we aren't needing the pic of the reading to confirm that, it's just to continue the collection of tank pics and the resulting ammonia reading from non digital kits. any changes you make that moves waste around in a tank can spike those kits bigtime, as a false ammonia stall.

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in no way possible do you have an ammonia issue, we aren't needing the pic of the reading to confirm that, it's just to continue the collection of tank pics and the resulting ammonia reading from non digital kits. any changes you make that moves waste around in a tank can spike those kits bigtime, as a false ammonia stall.
AEBEFAD8-C728-457A-B5C4-6A3C9F115AF6.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent, thank you so much for posting.

that's what api and red sea read on about 90% of fully stocked reef tanks. that's nh4, you have to estimate what the reading would be if it was ten times reduced, to get nh3, which is what reef tanks factor, we don't factor nh4.

consider the instructions for the kit: if you estimate yourself the nh3 conversion, how would you report that number

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want me to i can run all the tests i have and get back to you with pictures in 20ish minutes. im running the sera master kit.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kit are you using for ammonia?
You can safely dose a bit of Seachem Prime if you're worried. It'll help neutralize any ammonia. I disagree with the statement that you have too much surface area for an ammonia issue; if the bacteria have not yet caught up with the new load, it can cause an ammonia spike - that, or something died or is rotting that you haven't found. Take a good poke around to make sure.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ARGYGANG

this thread is about to go off the rails if you add things. you are not in ammonia distress
running more non digital test kits cannot help you.

read that thread before making any guesses further on this tank. add nothing, do nothing, take no action.

if you simply let your anemone open and expand, as they do, and weren't testing ammonia and taking an nh4 reading light green which we expect as an ammonia problem, you wouldn't have an alert post/

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kit are you using for ammonia?
You can safely dose a bit of Seachem Prime if you're worried. It'll help neutralize any ammonia. I disagree with the statement that you have too much surface area for an ammonia issue; if the bacteria have not yet caught up with the new load, it can cause an ammonia spike - that, or something died or is rotting that you haven't found. Take a good poke around to make sure.
thats where i am so lost with finding the source. no live stock has died and ive even gone as far as to count each zoa head on my frag plugs and nothing at all has died and nothing has changed recently besides the addition of the bubble tip and the addition of additional dry rock (roughly 1/3 of the rock u see in the tank pic is only a week and a half old)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back