Amoxicillin or other antibiotics to treat livestock: Are you doing it?

Are you using Amoxicillin or other antibiotics to treat livestock?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 36 12.6%
  • No

Votes: 247 86.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In quarantine, copper power, unless using tank transfer, and API General Cure.

Otherwise only when needed. For example, i had a Yellow Eye Kole that got a mouth infection, that i treated in a hospital tank with kanamycin. It cleared up in about a week in the hospital tank.

I’ll do whatever i can to not treat in the DT. One exception is if i see stringy poop, which could be intestinal parasites, where id use Prazipro , metronidazole or General Cure depending on the size of the tank im treating. Using metronidazole in the food is a good option, because fish like to eat each others poop as well.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been losing corals to STN. Not 100% sure about the cause of the STN but I think I am fighting a bacterial issue at this point. Acans are showing skeleton and holed up, my trumpets have bailed out over a 2 month period and I am losing hope. Going to try Koral Recover but I just don't know the way to put the breaks on the sudden decline. Softies are doing fine, goni is doing great and birdsnest/montis are doing fine but I lose about a head a week on most of my LPS...

BJD seems pretty easy to identify but how about other bacterial infections? Where do you source Cipro?

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same. I know some countries you can get antibiotics over the counter, but in USA you need a prescription. So maybe from a vet?
Last time I ordered fish meds, including cipro, it was without a prescription. For dogs and cats they do require a vet to sign off. Chewy.com, Allivet and Petsupplies4less.com are a few that offer it. I can’t remember for sure but I think I ordered it from Chewy...it was last year.It’s expensive though. I paid over $35 for the bottle!

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently @Randy Holmes-Farley shared a thread here about using Amoxicillin to treat wild coral disease and it got me thinking about how many of us are actually using antibiotics in our reef tanks. I have included the articles referenced by Randy as well as a couple of more discussions and articles here from R2R for you to look at. I would like to use the QOTD today to get your opinions and information about it!

1. Are you using Amoxicillin or other antibiotics to treat corals or other livestock?

2. What have you used and what were the results?

Experimenting with in-tank antibiotic treatments for Brown Jelly Disease

Protocol for using antibiotics to treat infected anemones

Assessing the effectiveness of two intervention methods for stony coral tissue loss disease on Montastraea cavernosa

A common antibiotic slows a mysterious coral disease

image source from article here
1621352818333.png
I haven't used any in a few years, but did use some antibiotics to treat secondary infections from Marine Velvet Outbreak a few years back.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use medication when an illness escalates and have only treated nems and fish. I use chemiclean in the display tank to knock out cyano but probably wouldn’t use a broad spectrum for fear of damaging the good bacteria.

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used Cipro to treat Brown Jelly in my DT.

I did the same to successfully stop a BJD infection on an orange wall hammer. I did not dose the DT though, I moved the hammer to a hospital tank for a week. I did dose chemiclean in the DT though as I was losing some mushrooms and had some cyano problems in the attached frag tank. Seemed to help stop the loss of the shroom colony that was dying. I only did a half dose too.
I've used Chemiclean on one of my tanks for Cyano. If you don't know, Chemiclean is erythromycin.
Are you sure? The box specifically says that it is not erythromycin.
1621450269581.png

Last time I ordered fish meds, including cipro, it was without a prescription. For dogs and cats they do require a vet to sign off. Chewy.com, Allivet and Petsupplies4less.com are a few that offer it. I can’t remember for sure but I think I ordered it from Chewy...it was last year.It’s expensive though. I paid over $35 for the bottle!
I got my cipro, amoxicillin and erythromycin from chewy without a prescription.

Cdeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same. I know some countries you can get antibiotics over the counter, but in USA you need a prescription. So maybe from a vet?
Chewy has fish grade

antibioticshttps://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-ciprofloxacin/dp/185215?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Fish%20Aid%20Antibiotics&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDaRLxXMxUwUzyxNYZKZXcfQgop7oLF2qG2WU6X3Z8YprI7l41vxJ_8aAoWBEALw_wcB

I've used cipro which seemed to knockout something spreading through my torches, but I bought one of each antibiotic they carry as a just in case event

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Chemiclean on one of my tanks for Cyano. If you don't know, Chemiclean is erythromycin.
ok so your saying if i had brown jelly disease hypothetically/ i could use Chemiclean as a treatment?

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Cipro in my DT with some success. Currently have some sick corals in a little hospital tank with daily amoxicillin additions.

No tissue loss since transferring to the hospital tank, but I am concerned about putting them back into the DT, where I'm worried they'll get sick again

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so your saying if i had brown jelly disease hypothetically/ i could use Chemiclean as a treatment?
I asked Jay Hemdal about therapeutic dosing levels of Chemiclean for non-prescribed purposes, and he said (in essence) that this hasn't been studied or is generally not recommended. You're on your own if you want to try this one out.

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same to successfully stop a BJD infection on an orange wall hammer. I did not dose the DT though, I moved the hammer to a hospital tank for a week. I did dose chemiclean in the DT though as I was losing some mushrooms and had some cyano problems in the attached frag tank. Seemed to help stop the loss of the shroom colony that was dying. I only did a half dose too.

Are you sure? The box specifically says that it is not erythromycin.
1621450269581.png

I got my cipro, amoxicillin and erythromycin from chewy without a prescription.
It says it does not contain erythromycin succinate -- but does notably not exclude other forms of erythromycin. And I don't even know if that's true or misdirection for regulators -- there's at least one thread around where a member contacted the manufacturers, and apparently they did confirm that the product did, indeed, contain erythromycin (of whatever form).

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not contain erythromycin succinate.
Yeah I'm not a chemist and I briefly googled it but I wasn't sure if succinate was a specific type of erythromycin. So "erythromycin succinate" and "erythromycin" are different?

Assuming so - do we know what exactly is in chemiclean? Does it differ from API E.M. Erythromycin?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently used Cipro to treat Brown Jelly in my DT.

Currently doing this as well. So far I have been dosing one 500 mg dissolved tablet version 50 gallons in my frag system daily for 8 days. started losing hammer heads here and there despite dipping and removing bad heads. Once it started hitting torches, I pulled the trigger on treatment.

I’m planning on a 14 day treatment for brown jelly as well as some anemones closing up. Tank has literally every kind of coral except NPS and no I’ll effects this far.

every reefer that keeps euphyllias
should always have cipro/ab’s on hand…

Where do you get the tablets?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm not a chemist and I briefly googled it but I wasn't sure if succinate was a specific type of erythromycin. So "erythromycin succinate" and "erythromycin" are different?
It's an answer known only to the manufacturers of Chemiclean. There are enough people here who have been curious enough about it to have undertaken their own investigations and the general consensus is that it does, in fact, have some type of erythromycin.

I'm thinking that the disclaimer on the packaging is for jurisdictions like Canada that have banned antibiotics for home aquarium husbandry.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back