an ID on this please?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is I have no memory of adding it (Maybe). This TBS rock has been with me for a long time. I added a Ricordia years ago & it just disappeared so thought it was long gone. This was 2 tanks & a sump for years later then 3 years in this 75. It just might be the same. the critter in question is just left of center . There are 5 other smaller one to left & right. there is a magenta ring maybe? Sorry for the poor picture. This was the best out of a bunch ! Thanks
HPIM9153.JPG

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ric you added back then was a Yuma, I think that might be a bleached out version of it with corresponding babies

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about the bubble algae?
Thanks Cherub but I can Id the bubble all by myself ! LOL
Honestly the color is much better than the pic shows. all I have is an old HP digital camera. I'm trying a flash light turning off the t5's etc.
So a ricordia maybe, a discoma? If it's the ricordia it would be 3 setups & a good 10 years ago, 2 in a sump with a reflector & a 65K fluoro bulb!
I love this en devour with all the crazy stuff that pops up !

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually does look a lot more like a discoma than a yuma. If it was indeed the ric from a decade ago, this would be a super bleached and beat-up version of it. I think it's more likely that an unnoticed discoma snuck in at some point.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think you are right on the Discoma ID. Maybe it was an incidental or the LFS sold it as Ricordia, which is most likely . This is why it survived all these years thru all kinds of conditions.
So It's getting blasted with high flow & a lot of par. Like 180 par ! The large one is in a crevice So can't be moved. I wonder if I can get the babies off the rock & move them lower with less flow?
I took a good look at them just now & the edges do lift up. I think I can get a razor knife underneath & cut them away from the rock. Then propagation is standard mushroom, rubble in a basket?
Man, the more I get into this, the more work/trouble albeit fun I get into ! I Love it !

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my lava lamp discosoma that's getting too much as well. If you find a sweet spot with the lighting they morph pretty quickly.

IMG_20180320_095953_695.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back