Analog control return pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishbulb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
64
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help finding a return pump. This is actually not so much for an aquarium but for a project in a research lab. We want be able to control flow rate in a behavioral arena and an aquarium pump seems like a great option. I know there are a lot of new DC pumps on the market. We would simply like the pump (or controller) to accept some sort of analog signal to change the speed and flow through the assay with reasonably short latency. I know the Reef Octopus Vario pumps allow for 0-10V input, but I'm not sure if that means that you can really dial in a specific flow rate, if that is only letting you choose between one of their 5 preset speeds. Can anyone confirm of a return pump with a simple analog input feature that lets you use the whole dynamic range of the pump?

Cheers,
FB
 
I don’t know enough about the pump but I’m sure Connor or Jeff can provide assistance.
 
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help finding a return pump. This is actually not so much for an aquarium but for a project in a research lab. We want be able to control flow rate in a behavioral arena and an aquarium pump seems like a great option. I know there are a lot of new DC pumps on the market. We would simply like the pump (or controller) to accept some sort of analog signal to change the speed and flow through the assay with reasonably short latency. I know the Reef Octopus Vario pumps allow for 0-10V input, but I'm not sure if that means that you can really dial in a specific flow rate, if that is only letting you choose between one of their 5 preset speeds. Can anyone confirm of a return pump with a simple analog input feature that lets you use the whole dynamic range of the pump?

Cheers,
FB
Yes using 0-10v gives you much more resolution of control than the 5 preset speeds that the controller does.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new