Analyze My ATI Test!

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love everyone’s input on my ATI test and what they would do as a result as far as dosing:

I have done an ATI test every month for the last 3 months to get an idea of how I could routinely dose iodine - it sits around 10-15 after a month every time, meaning I can safely dose 0.15 3 times in a month on my tank. Would you spread this out over the month or do the full dose over 3 days all at once within that month?

Also - would you do anything on those other recommended elements?

Here’s a youtube short of tank and inhabitants:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a good note - That Aluminum number was much higher and also had trace amount of Copper in my first ever ATI - now I run a small polyfilter in my AIO chamber and it has eliminated the copper and is slowly pulling down that aluminum. Solid product that doesn’t get enough love out there!

Here is the first ever test from October if anybody’s interested:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the results are accurate...

IMO, the salinity is low and I'd raise it.

Again, IMO, iodine is not important in most tanks, but it is low if you want to experiment with dosing it.

Phosphate is low and I'd feed more or dose it.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement, including such ions as manganese and iron.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the results are accurate...

IMO, the salinity is low and I'd raise it.

Again, IMO, iodine is not important in most tanks, but it is low if you want to experiment with dosing it.

Phosphate is low and I'd feed more or dose it.

You might benefit from a trace element supplement, including such ions as manganese and iron.
I’ve been working on the salinity - I get super nervous to bring it up too much with my biweekly 20% water changes - I put it in around 1.025-1.026 but not trying to go too hard on it as everything is doing okay.

I’m definitely a believer in iodine for gorgonians, torches and hammers. Those 3 species seem to perk up when iodine is right.

Working on phosphates as well - started daily feeding recently instead of every other day.

Would you ignore those other dosing recommendations? I always get nervous willingly adding metals like Zinc and Vanadium - also still not sure if I have the courage for dosing those multi-supplements - would prefer at this stage to just isolate the elements and dose them individually if important enough.

ollowing ATI supplements should be applied in order to provide a stable water quality:
  • Brom supplement per day 16.11 ml for 2 days
  • Vanadium supplement per day 0.32 ml for 2 days
  • Zink supplement per day 0.44 ml for 1 day
  • Mangan supplement per day 0.42 ml for 1 day
  • Iod supplement per day 0.15 ml for 3 days

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ignore the bromide recommendation, but it won't hurt to do it.

The others may be sensible. That's why I recommended a supplement.

To raise salinity, a slow but steady plan is not by water change (that will take a long, long time) but by replacing evaporated water with salt water at normal salinity.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To raise salinity, a slow but steady plan is not by water change (that will take a long, long time) but by replacing evaporated water with salt water at normal salinity.
With an ATO setup - what is best way to do this? Turn off ATO and manually fill with saltwater for a bit?

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay I forgot I had a little ATO that came with the tank that you fill up daily - turned off the Tunze and am now using this to top off with 1.025 water. It’s already come up a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I forgot I had a little ATO that came with the tank that you fill up daily - turned off the Tunze and am now using this to top off with 1.025 water. It’s already come up a bit.

Sounds good. :)

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. I did the same thing.. Raised my Salinity from 1.021 to 1.025 with my ATO.
I just filled 10 Litres into my resorvoir @ 35psu and then it raised salinity to 1.025 within 14 days.

I did that with the Tunze 3152 :)

Back