Anampses Lennardi QT

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I haven’t found much information about the Lennardi wrasse on the web so I am looking for some advice on the best course of treatment as a preventative against ich and/or velvet. After many successful QT’s I goofed on my last one by using CP on some Anthias. Unfortunately they all died overnight. :(

My Lennardi arrived on Tuesday and went through my normal acclimation routine. A 1 hr drip acclimation, 45 min malachite green/formalin bath, a 45 min methylene blue bath, and then into the QT. So far she is doing great. She has been aggressively eating PE callanus out of the water column. My current plan is to continue to observe her for at least the next week while continuing to fatten her up and then start a treatment for parasites.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I have also lowered the temp of my QT to 76 degF since I have read that these guys are from cooler water.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan and a great start to me - I've never worked with Anampses though, so hoping that @eatbreakfast, @melypr1985, @evoloved or @Humblefish stops by to offer more specific tips.

Not a fish you want _anything_ going wrong with! Congratulations on scoring that little gal!!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bruce. I am certainly looking forward to enjoying this beauty for a long time.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick pic from this evening. It is ~2” juvenile.
630A3FD3-5AFE-4D9F-BDB8-16294511606A.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight she was looking good and still eating well so I decided to run the first round of prazi. I will leave it in for 24 hrs and then do a water change and run some carbon.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that this past week was looking pretty busy I switched to feeding pods on Monday hoping to keep her well fed. Unfortunately, throughout the week I wasn’t home to see her out. Today was my first day seeing her out and I was pleasantly surprised to see her doing well. It was hard to believe how much she has changed. The light blue is really starting to develop and it has become much brighter and cover more of her body. Overall I would say things are going well. BTW...I am still looking for any advice you guys may have on a prophylactic treatment for parasites. I am planning to start the treatment in the next week or so.

1A6F6E81-C535-431A-8239-53168E6CE2BD.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using General Cure (a mixture of Praziquantel and Metronidazole, in a powdered form) for internal and external parasites and Coppersafe for ich / velvet. I've QT'd several fairy wrasses and a parrotfish, but never worked with Anampses. (I saw a male lennardi the other day ... boy, are you in for some fun!)

Possibly @Humblefish has some experience with the group . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago I added some 5280 pods to the QT tank and they have now really taken off and have been providing all of the food to my wrasse. This has helped a lot with my travel. Thankfully she also still accepts the calanus when I feed it. I am hoping this will get me through the copper treatment if it kills the pods. My plan right now is to give her a few more weeks to fatten up before treatment. There does not appear to be any immediate threat. She has continued to grow very well in QT. There is very little dark blue left.

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am sure that you do not need to hear another success story to be a believer, but I picked up some LRS food today and fed some reef frenzy to the Lennardi. I accidentally added a large piece to the QT tank and was shocked when she went after it. She literally tore this chunk apart and ate the pieces.

75B68F65-53E2-4592-9DF9-B2A974E9F800.jpeg
0EE844AE-AAFA-4333-92C2-30E0A04B952C.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zed102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sad to report that this thread will end like so many other Lennardi threads. Unfortunately I found her dead on the bottom of the tank this morning. Based on the fact that she was not buried in the sand I am thinking that she must of died before lights out at 9 last night. I fed her reef frenzy around 7 and she was still eating great. I have no idea what could have killed her so quickly. A post mortem inspection revealed no torn fins or any other indication of damage and a fresh water dip showed no indication of parasites. If I try again I will likely try one that is a bit larger.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, such difficult fish. The only anampses I’ve tried didn’t survive copper treatment.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was she fat or starved from parasites despite treatment?
Mine is in QT( coppersafe). She is eating blackworms and some mysis. No sand in the QT system. She’s always out with the aurulentous anthias eating well. Fingers crossed

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back