Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Binge read this whole thread this past weekend. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So awesome to see what you've done to what you are trying to accomplish. Can't wait to see the finished tank!!

Now if only you can get your gear. :confused:
Thanks for checking it out! So fun to build. Glad you are along for the ride!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C3DED4A0-16D8-4F4D-8D3D-E61DBFCAEA3A.jpeg
3469E84D-6B21-41CA-A252-B314F3DD5190.jpeg

Got the lights hung up tonight, couldn’t wait!! I’ll need to adjust them to be right over the reef for the perfect coverage… they are super bright!!

Last edited:

Pandashark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Binging your build and 80 pages in I realized we were coming up to the present, I got emotional haha! I was already thinking you were a saint being patient waiting, and then I read 13.5k...are you the Pope? I can't imagine putting up with that!! I hope that works out for you. I'm just in the process of buying and moving a 1k tank, thanks for making me feel a little bit less crazy

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did’t already have them I would just use unistrut, superstrut, and find some rollers that work well with that. Best, Dave
If those rollers you have don't work out unistrut actually makes rollers for the strut and couplers that make the transitions heavy duty. Ive used them in a few industrial applications at work.

Love following the build cant wait to see what the tank looks like will all the lights on!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Binging your build and 80 pages in I realized we were coming up to the present, I got emotional haha! I was already thinking you were a saint being patient waiting, and then I read 13.5k...are you the Pope? I can't imagine putting up with that!! I hope that works out for you. I'm just in the process of buying and moving a 1k tank, thanks for making me feel a little bit less crazy
If I would have had the filtration gear I would have never put the koi in the show! I’d be 4 months into a saltwater cycle. I think that has been one of the mistakes that has caused some extra work on top of an already giant task.

Thinking about that makes me a little upset about my selection of the filtration provider.

Lol, we are all a little crazy trying to tame a little piece of the ocean in our homes!!

Thanks for checking it out!!
If those rollers you have don't work out unistrut actually makes rollers for the strut and couplers that make the transitions heavy duty. Ive used them in a few industrial applications at work.

Love following the build cant wait to see what the tank looks like will all the lights on!
Thanks for the recommendation. These rollers will work and are working fine but you are right I think the unistrut option would have been smoother!! With the rack weighted down with all the lights it seems to slide a little better so I’m ok with it…

Lights are almost all on, I’ll add some of the 6’ XHOs from the holding system once we are ready to start adding the corals. We are almost there!!

Next up is koi removal, tank clean, new RODI & salt added! Stoked!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my son Travis last night to fish out the koi today so he hooked into his first one and it cut the line on the reef rock stack going under the arch... ‍ :oops:

Said the hook was on the bottom of the tank and he did’t want Wilbur (the sturgeon) to eat it so he needed to dive in and grab it. He's my fishing buddy so I trust his judgement.

Well we had our first swimmer in the tank today... waiting for the update now but he’s in there swimming around while I am at work. (his girlfriend Maddy and my wife are spotting him & recording it so that should be fun to see!!)

I'll post that as soon as I can too! ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back