Andy's Reef System Build

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a BioCube with a DIY sump and a 10 gallon frag tank. I recently picked up a 40g breeder at the PetCo $/gallon sale and decided to build a predator reef. I am going to plumb all three tanks into a single 55 gallon sump. This will present some challenges in terms of dialing in the flow to each tank, but that should be manageable with a few gate valves. I am cycling the live sand for the 40 gallon breeder in my garage and will do the same with the dry rock once I have planned out an aquascape. This way my existing system won't be shocked by a cycle in the 40g once I get it all plumbed together.

I picked up a Modular Marine shadow overflow for the 40 gallon which I will be installing this week.

I have three questions for the group:

1) Should I go with one or two returns to the 40 gallon?

2) What size return pump should I be getting? I am planning on using a single return pump for all three tanks and three media reactors (carbon, gfo and zeovit) all coming out of a common manifold. Figure the manifold will be about 80 inches long and and each output will be a 90 degree fitting. Tanks will be about 15-20 inches higher than the sump.

3) What are your thoughts on my preliminary aquascape? I like the unique looks of the two islands and the center bay but I am concerned that there are not enough places to mount coral and places for my anticipated snowflake eel to hide. Picture below; please excuse the blue tape. I'm using it to scape using the rule of thirds.

Image-3.jpeg
Image-2.jpeg
Image-1.jpeg
Image.jpeg

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leak test that tank? I wouldn't trust it with that big crack. You might consider grabbing a new 40, and you'll probably get cleaner cuts the second time around now that you've done it before. Aquascape looks great!

OP
OP
Amateur Reefer

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leak test that tank? I wouldn't trust it with that big crack. You might consider grabbing a new 40, and you'll probably get cleaner cuts the second time around now that you've done it before. Aquascape looks great!

Yup, not using that tank for the actual system. Bought a new one. Just using it to set up the aquascape before I set up the main tank. I will give it a leak test and if it holds, I will cure the dry rock in there to help avoid a cycle when I plumb my current tanks into the system.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, not using that tank for the actual system. Bought a new one. Just using it to set up the aquascape before I set up the main tank. I will give it a leak test and if it holds, I will cure the dry rock in there to help avoid a cycle when I plumb my current tanks into the system.
Good good!

OP
OP
Amateur Reefer

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good progress this week on the tanks. I moved my existing BioCube and sump across the room to make room for the custom made stand that will hold all three tanks. That stand is being built this week.

I've got the frag tank ready for plumbing. Picture of the tank below.

The question I am wondering now is whether I should go ahead and plumb the frag tank into the main system as planned or leave it as a stand alone system for a combo coral QT and frag tank. I originally liked the idea of having more water to the stability of the over all system but now am wondering whether it makes more sense to have a permanent coral QT tank and not rely solely on dips. The downside to that would be maintaining a smaller system (10g frag tank plus 7g sump) and maintaining two systems. I'm planning to run the 40g breeder and biocube on a Triton method so maintaining the frag as a separate system will undo the ULM of the Triton method since I will have to keep that system stable.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Frag Tank.JPG

OP
OP
Amateur Reefer

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight setback yesterday. I went to install my modular marine overflow and noticed that the drains are just 1/2 inch! I have already drilled for the overflow so I can't just swap out a new one. The overflow is rated for 800 gph so I should be able to using reducers to bring my 1" pvc pipe into the 1/2 in drains and use valves on my return to ensure the flow is proper for the overflow to handle.

No matter how much planning, there is always something you didn't anticipate in this hobby!

OP
OP
Amateur Reefer

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the stand.
IMG_1268.JPG

As mentioned, I am going to have the frag tank (all the way on the right) plumbed into the main system. I want to run a UV sterilizer between the frag tank and the main system. The question is, can I just let it gravity feed through the frag drain or do I need a second mini sump with a dedicated pump for the uv sterilizer into the main system?

OP
OP
Amateur Reefer

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have been delinquent in updates recently but that’s because I’ve been super busy. As you can tell from the below photo, I’ve been knee deep in setting up the new salt water system. I am ecstatic to say I AM DONE! My wife is also extremely happy because we can finally get rid of all these boxes and extra fish and marine equipment laying around the house.

IMG_1693.JPG

I made TONS of mistakes a long the way. I am going to try to muster up the courage to relive those mistakes (some extremely costly). One thing I learned is that you get what you pay for. I would have been better off in the long run just purchasing the good stuff first before realizing after the close of the return period that your budget gear isn’t going to cut it. (See those MP40 boxes n the background…)

A related lesson is to know your limits. As I’ve stated several times, I am not handy by nature. I like the hobby because I learn new things. But my time is also limited with a lot of people demanding some of it. After countless floods during my build I made the wisest decision of all: to call a pro. Dynamic Tank came to my rescue.

I abanonded the 40g breeder because I had leak issues and wasn't thrilled about the 1/2" drain in the overflow. I ended up getting a reef-ready 65 gallon. Of course, with the 65 gallon, I was worried the Current lights that were just sufficient enough for a shallow 40b wouldn't be enough, so I upgraded to two Hydra 26s.

I'm beat for the night. I'll try to post more pics of the whole setup later this week.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back