Anemone chewed by powerhead. What happens?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will know my New Magnifica nem decided to wonder the tank only absence and ended up against one of my MP40 wavemakers. The result was 3/4 of my fish died. I am left with just 4 now my pair of homeless clowns a yellow wrasse and a black leopard wrasse.
The 2 wrasse I almost lost but managed to save, I won't go into details how here. Now although many of my fish were terminally affected by the part chewing up of the nem my clowns showed no affect at a it seems by the partly mushed nem.

So why arent the clowns affected by the nem while other fish died or were affected? Were the stings/ nematocyst and ended up in the mouths and gills of the other fish as there were no.marks on the bodies of any of the dead fish? Or was it something else released by the nem?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder because the clowns are used to the anenome's nematocysts(Stinging cells), could be why they weren't effected?

I honestly have no idea.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder because the clowns are used to the anenome's nematocysts(Stinging cells), could be why they weren't effected?

I honestly have no idea.
No signs of anything on the bodies and fish gasping so it seems reasonable that it was the gills affected more than anything.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats what I'm saying.....

Since it was chewed up, it would only be logical to think the nematocysts were blended into the water. All the fish effected got them in their gills, the clowns weren't effected because they are already used to it.

Just an idea I had?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No signs of anything on the bodies and fish gasping so it seems reasonable that it was the gills affected more than anything.
I had 6 tentacles of a 30" merten get shredded in a small gap in the nem guard on my PH once. 3 tangs and 2 wrasse died, while no one else was affected. Some fish had rapid breathing for a few days, but recovered. SO with that said, I think it was the cells themselves irritating the gills or damaging them on the fish that passed. couple of tents in 350 or so gallons of water is not enough to nuke a tank, but possibly nuke some gills. I will say, my clarkii were fine and looked just like normal. Even laid eggs on the glass under the nem, hours after the incident.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats what I'm saying.....

Since it was chewed up, it would only be logical to think the nematocysts were blended into the water. All the fish effected got them in their gills, the clowns weren't effected because they are already used to it.

Just an idea I had?
Am.not sure about the gills being coated in slime as I would have thought they need to be kept clear of it to allow oxygen through with the water but it's a possibility of course.
I wonder if anybody has research the gills on clownfish, surly they have?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back