Anemone closing every night

kevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my green bubble tip anemone has been closing / shriveling up every night and remaining that way until the lights go off. Until it closes, it looks like the healthiest anemone i have ever seen. My last attempt with a gbta was not very successful so i have been feeding it quite frequently (2-3 times a week). Also, the anemone is paired with a ~2" maroon clownfish.

Does anyone have any ideas to why my anemone is acting this way? Could it be the frequency of feedings? The anemone readily take the silversides i feed it.

Tank: 58 gallon
Lighting: 225 watts VHO
10 gallon fuge + aqua c urchin skimmer (produces full cup of skimate twice a week.)
Tunze nanostream 6045
All levels are with in range except pH which has been running low since i re-calibrated my pH meter.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "my lights turn off". What exactly is the actinic vs full light schedule? Your anemone may have gotten adjusted to the schedule and will go to bed before all the lights turn off. If, during the day it is full, hasn't moved, and accepts food, then that is a very good sign that it is happy.

I would make any adjustments until the anemone changes location.

OP
OP
kevin

kevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have an actinic cycle, i only have one ballast.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's normal. Nothing to worry about. If it shrinks and stays shrunken for a few days, start worrying (or looking for clones;)). The bubbles don't always stay, either.

drxdragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya mines been shrinking and staying shrunk for a few days now ... and i noticed that near the mouth he trying to split it looks like. i dunno if hes dieing or just trying to split/clone itself

any idea?

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With anenomes it could be a multiple of things happening they will shrink then rexpand to get rid of waste they also may be expelling zoathalle to grow new type to adjust to your lighting.Another thing is you may have a fish thats picking at it when lights are on as you said it stays shriveled to lights go out or it may be splitting as you also said so keep a good eye to make sure the problem isnt a outside source but I think its still just adjusting I have found that doing a dip in erythromycin(spelling probly wronge) helps with enternal infections on newly aquired specimens so you might try that if this one starts to fail.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back