Anemone/clownfish only tank

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large reef tank that I am in the process of selling off and dismantling. It is too much for us to handle because of a severe health problem I’m dealing with and my husband’s work schedule. We really love our BTA and clowns and we’re wondering what a nem/clown only setup would be like to care for in contrast to an all out mixed reef. Would we still need a protein skimmer and sump and all of that or would it be more like having a FOWLR tank?
We have a gorgeous BTA now that we’d like to keep. I assume lighting would be my biggest thing along with stable water?
Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a large reef tank that I am in the process of selling off and dismantling. It is too much for us to handle because of a severe health problem I’m dealing with and my husband’s work schedule. We really love our BTA and clowns and we’re wondering what a nem/clown only setup would be like to care for in contrast to an all out mixed reef. Would we still need a protein skimmer and sump and all of that or would it be more like having a FOWLR tank?
We have a gorgeous BTA now that we’d like to keep. I assume lighting would be my biggest thing along with stable water?
Thanks in advance!
Good lighting and water quality essential for nem and overall tank
Would be close to Fowler

Upvote 0

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a protein skimmer or to do significant water changes if you don’t mind having macro/algae in the tank. I have run mine without a skimmer and only turn it on if dealing with an issue, normally nutrients from deep sand bed getting stirred by carpets.

It’s very low maintenance. I don’t even check for parameters and rely on monthly water change of 5 gals. I don’t notice alk/calcium depletion. I would stay on top of temperature and salinity.

Upvote 0

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple wave makers and a HOB filter... sand gets a little dirty... but a water change every few weeks... good to go...
20210328_154243.jpg

Upvote 0

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple wave makers and a HOB filter... sand gets a little dirty... but a water change every few weeks... good to go...
20210328_154243.jpg
How large is this tank? What is the stock list?

It looks really great, nice and simple.

-Andrew

Upvote 0

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is this tank? What is the stock list?

It looks really great, nice and simple.

-Andrew
40B. Currently houses 1 green Haddoni 1 blue Haddoni 1 African Ritteri, 2 borneman Anemones, 3 rock flower, 1 rbta, and one aptasia ;).
Plan on adding 2 more colors of carpet and another Ritteri but holding out for one with more color. A few snails, and a pair of Clarkii clowns.

Upvote 0

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40B. Currently houses 1 green Haddoni 1 blue Haddoni 1 African Ritteri, 2 borneman Anemones, 3 rock flower, 1 rbta, and one aptasia ;).
Plan on adding 2 more colors of carpet and another Ritteri but holding out for one with more color. A few snails, and a pair of Clarkii clowns.
Looks like you’ll need a new tank for everything in the future! Love the Haddoni.

-Andrew

Upvote 0

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ll need a new tank for everything in the future! Love the Haddoni.

-Andrew
Plan is to upgrade this to a 75 and my reef to a 225... here is my reef.

20210328_154853.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tearing down my reef due to a serious illness I am dealing with and just can’t keep up with it with all the hospitalizations and appointments and just trying to keep myself going. I have a 49B I’ve been using as a QT (non copper) and coral/invert QT. Thinking of converting it to a clown/nem tank but still undecided. I may keep my conch snails and my diamond goby to keep the sand clean. Thanks for everyone’s input so far, very helpful

Upvote 0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tearing down my reef due to a serious illness I am dealing with and just can’t keep up with it with all the hospitalizations and appointments and just trying to keep myself going. I have a 49B I’ve been using as a QT (non copper) and coral/invert QT. Thinking of converting it to a clown/nem tank but still undecided. I may keep my conch snails and my diamond goby to keep the sand clean. Thanks for everyone’s input so far, very helpful
I barley dose , just 2 part twice a week about 5ml each. Once every other week I add essential elements by Kent marine. Daily maintenance is putting fresh water for top off and feeding a cube a mysis. Tank does the rest. No water changes for a month so far

Attachments

• F7EA7F84-0C5A-4812-AD12-C6752BC44A10.jpeg
    F7EA7F84-0C5A-4812-AD12-C6752BC44A10.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back