Anemone EMERGENCY

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heater fell onto my big beautiful BTA last night and cooked half of it. I fragged it to try to save the half with less damage. Both sides are in a quarantine box and both are alive and the foot is sticking. The “bad” half looks really bad but does have a few live tentacles. The “good” half has some tissue damage but looks better than the other half. Any help/suggestions wecome.

520DA52F-FE95-4513-A386-C756E1866096.jpeg BD0CD833-896B-4279-B28B-76335310E915.jpeg 0F4B0462-EAE4-4055-B84E-25472C747BE2.jpeg 13938EF5-6FF6-40CB-A904-50FF44A6FD4D.jpeg

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes sorry to see that, Im not an exact professional but I would want the nem to try and reconnect his foot so he isn't tumbling around. Hopefully, someone more experienced in treating nems can pitch in

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes sorry to see that, Im not an exact professional but I would want the nem to try and reconnect his foot so he isn't tumbling around. Hopefully, someone more experienced in treating nems can pitch in
They aren’t tumbling around at all. They are in separate acclimation boxes and both of them have attached. I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I can do or if there’s anything that I am missing/forgetting as far as trying to give them the best chance for recovery. I don’t have much hope for the one that looks really bad even though it has a few viable tentacles but I’m hoping the other half can be saved. Thank you for responding!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are in acclimation boxes that are in the tank, you did good. If they are in boxes of their own and outside the tank, just do 2 or 3 water changes a day until they look better. Do on in the AM, one mid afternoon if you can, or as soon as you get home from work and the 3rd just before you go to bed.

I think they should heal from the cutting in just a day or two. It may take longer to recover from the heat damage.

I deal a lot more with RFA and maxi-minis than I do with BTA. But I've found they are quite hardy if they were healthy to begin with.

Good luck.

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are in acclimation boxes that are in the tank, you did good. If they are in boxes of their own and outside the tank, just do 2 or 3 water changes a day until they look better. Do on in the AM, one mid afternoon if you can, or as soon as you get home from work and the 3rd just before you go to bed.

I think they should heal from the cutting in just a day or two. It may take longer to recover from the heat damage.

I deal a lot more with RFA and maxi-minis than I do with BTA. But I've found they are quite hardy if they were healthy to begin with.

Good luck.
Thank you so much! They are in acclamation boxes (and each one in its own) in the actual tank. I feel hopeful since you were talking about them recovering from the heat damage. Do you think it’s more likely because there are viable tentacles on the one half that is severely damaged that it may recover?

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, and if the acclimation boxes don't have holes or slits, an airline from an air pump to each to keep oxygen levels high and provide a small amount of water movement. Your quick thinking should save at least half. They are pretty resilient creatures once established, how long did you have it prior.

Gokd job so far.

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys so much! I really don’t have much hope for the one that is badly burned but the other half looks like it could survive if I’m lucky. It’s just heartbreaking. It was my favorite RBTA and it was so big and beautiful. I had actually been talking about putting a sample on that tank so that I can move everything that could be a danger out of the display. I should’ve done it when I thought about it. Kicking myself.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to each half surviving is that each half got some of the mouth. A side without any mouth may survive for days but eventually will fade. I don't think the tentacles are as important. If the seriously damaged side has some of the mouth, it should -eventually- grow new tentacles.

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to each half surviving is that each half got some of the mouth. A side without any mouth may survive for days but eventually will fade. I don't think the tentacles are as important. If the seriously damaged side has some of the mouth, it should -eventually- grow new tentacles.
I did divide it so that it was divided through the mouth and I tried to make sure as much of the damaged part as possible was on one side and the least damaged on the other. I don’t know if you can tell by the pictures but they both do have a mouth and both of them have closed around as they would if it was healthy and you fragged it. The half that has the most of the damage is surprisingly still alive and has closed up and is well stuck to the acclamation box. The other half is actually looking pretty good and is moving a little bit. I can’t thank you guys enough for responding quickly for me and letting me know that I’ve done the right things. Thank you thank you thank you!

OP
OP
kels64

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far both halves or alive this morning and not looking quite as sad as they did yesterday. I am hopeful.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back