Anemone health!!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar light for my daughter's freshwater aquarium, unfortunately as you can not adjust or know par strength of these (think just made in china at cost approx £10) , this is possibly the reason why your anemone is hiding.. the lighting could be too strong and as you say it comes out with standard cieling light then hides once you turn on aquarium light, I would assume the aquarium light is the issue.

You need to invest in a light that you can adjust, also with multi colour spectrum.
what size aquriam do you have please?

Also I would not assume anemone has died as it has hidden, my anemone hide in a cave for approximately 4 months (luckily I could see it) before slowly coming out

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• IMG20230403182501.jpg
    IMG20230403182501.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG20230403182515.jpg
    IMG20230403182515.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
S

Sayins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar light for my daughter's freshwater aquarium, unfortunately as you can not adjust or know par strength of these (think just made in china at cost approx £10) , this is possibly the reason why your anemone is hiding.. the lighting could be too strong and as you say it comes out with standard cieling light then hides once you turn on aquarium light, I would assume the aquarium light is the issue.

You need to invest in a light that you can adjust, also with multi colour spectrum.
what size aquriam do you have please?

Also I would not assume anemone has died as it has hidden, my anemone hide in a cave for approximately 4 months (luckily I could see it) before slowly coming out

Hope this helps :)
Hi, i see what you mean and i am trying to upgrade my lighting, and now you encouraged me even more to do so, i have a 20gallon long tank. can you send some links to what would be good for the size of the tank? Or what should i be looking for when going to petco, petsmart, or my local fish store? Thanks

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont buy any lights from petco petsmart or any big pet supply store. Most of the time they just dont sell lights that we need for reef tanks. What is your budget and tank dimensions?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert in lighting, hopefully others will help you :)
I would say plan for future though, you may want standard corals now but in future you may to add more demanding corals and lighting is a big factor :)

OP
OP
S

Sayins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont buy any lights from petco petsmart or any big pet supply store. Most of the time they just dont sell lights that we need for reef tanks. What is your budget and tank dimensions?
Tank dimensions not sure, but it is a 20gallon long google told me this
  • Length​

30.5 IN
  • Height​

13 IN
  • Width​

13.125 IN

right now my budget is "infinite", but i'd rather get a cheap and reliable one.

OP
OP
S

Sayins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert in lighting, hopefully others will help you :)
I would say plan for future though, you may want standard corals now but in future you may to add more demanding corals and lighting is a big factor :)
What would standard corals be? like zoas etc?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess, for me I started with GSP, fireworks clove polyps, candy canes which I would say standard, now I'm all about bounce mushrooms

some people start with fowl (fish only) and budget and buy just for this setup, then eventually they want to add corals so they have to upgrade alot of equipment.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are just starting and learning the benefit and downsides of lighting. I would go with a noopsyche light, they are affordable and will grow anything you could imagine in a 20 long.

OP
OP
S

Sayins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts for the future, what livestock is in your aquarium now, how old/young is your aquarium
Hi, for the future i want to start a coral garden of many different types, mainly zoas, torches, and frog/octospawn. I currently have a clownfish and some corals that i bought from a reefkeeper who was breaking down his setup. Since he didn't want it anymore he gave the corals to be for a "cheap" price.(or i thought so). My aquarium is relatively young, i'd say a couple weeks/months. I also have another question, today i'm getting a kessil a160 tuna blue light, would there be anything else that i'm missing that will benefit my coral growth?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes lots of patience and a good amount of research, as I said before I'm just a mushroom guy (novice) and I'm still learning 4 years from initial setup :)

IMG20230402173643.jpg IMG20230402173904.jpg IMG20230402173728.jpg IMG20230402164815.jpg IMG20230402164612.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back