Anemone need help

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished cycling (gave it 4 weeks) about a week ago I got fish and an anemone since my LFS said it would be fine but I was looking at in tonight and it looks like it's shrinking and I'm not sure but I think the mouth is extremely open is it pooping sleeping dying I'm not too sure if anyone could help that would be really useful. It wasn't looking too bad through out the last week but now I'm getting worried what should I do
09F7D30F-A670-43B5-98DC-3C7E9F17A97F.jpeg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look good. Mouth open and expelled. Looks like it's dying. Is it inflating and deflating or stays like that?

Full panel of parms. Sounds like your tank parms can't sustain the anemone. They may be fluctuating or off. Please post

Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphates
Temp

Then since tank is new
Nitrite
Ammonia

Also what size tank and what light do you have? Provide Fts

Adding an anemone can be done by experienced reefer if you prepare tank properly for it. But for newbie first tank, it's not recommended. It's usually recommended to wait 6 months or so till tank is more mature stable for anemone.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone require a mature tank. For new reefers I'd recommend 9 months to a year before getting one.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look good. Mouth open and expelled. Looks like it's dying. Is it inflating and deflating or stays like that?

Full panel of parms. Sounds like your tank parms can't sustain the anemone. They may be fluctuating or off. Please post

Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphates
Temp

Then since tank is new
Nitrite
Ammonia

Also what size tank and what light do you have? Provide Fts

Adding an anemone can be done by experienced reefer if you prepare tank properly for it. But for newbie first tank, it's not recommended. It's usually recommended to wait 6 months or so till tank is more mature stable for anemone.
Ammonia (not too stable between 0 - 0.10)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Cal. 380
Alk. 9
Phos. 0.05
Temp 78

it looked inflated again this morning and It also seems to be on the move as well but I couldn't get a good look at its mouth it's a 10 gallon and the light I'm using is a Fluval sea marine 3.0 led 22 watts 15- 24 inches

Attachments

• F2EC31C6-1EDF-4D12-B903-FF417AEBFAEA.jpeg
    F2EC31C6-1EDF-4D12-B903-FF417AEBFAEA.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 39

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia (not too stable between 0 - 0.10)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Cal. 380
Alk. 9
Phos. 0.05
Temp 78

it looked inflated again this morning and It also seems to be on the move as well but I couldn't get a good look at its mouth it's a 10 gallon and the light I'm using is a Fluval sea marine 3.0 led 22 watts 15- 24 inches
Tank is far too new. Lighting is also insufficient. However even with the best possible lighting an anemone still won't survive in your tank currently.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished cycling (gave it 4 weeks) about a week ago I got fish and an anemone since my LFS said it would be fine but I was looking at in tonight and it looks like it's shrinking and I'm not sure but I think the mouth is extremely open is it pooping sleeping dying I'm not too sure if anyone could help that would be really useful. It wasn't looking too bad through out the last week but now I'm getting worried what should I do
09F7D30F-A670-43B5-98DC-3C7E9F17A97F.jpeg
UPDATE

anemone has moved and also opened a little bit enough for me to take a good picture how does it look ?

Attachments

• 774A24B2-6DC2-4235-9F5A-A0803C7D6113.jpeg
    774A24B2-6DC2-4235-9F5A-A0803C7D6113.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is far too new. Lighting is also insufficient. However even with the best possible lighting an anemone still won't survive in your tank currently.
What lighting would you recommend would be good for the nem and for some sps I also want to get down the line?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to take it back to the fish store for credit. Wait 6months and go get you a new one. Dont kill the anemone if it can be saved. It will only wither away and cause more problems in your aquarium. you are just not ready. As a matter of fact. I would wait about 2 weeks then go back to that fish store and use your credit for some zoa's or frogspawn. I think that is a good start for you. I hope this helps.

Hang in there. You will soon be able to sustain that beautiful anemone. Just not right now in your journey.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to take it back to the fish store for credit. Wait 6months and go get you a new one. Dont kill the anemone if it can be saved. It will only wither away and cause more problems in your aquarium. you are just not ready. As a matter of fact. I would wait about 2 weeks then go back to that fish store and use your credit for some zoa's or frogspawn. I think that is a good start for you. I hope this helps.

Hang in there. You will soon be able to sustain that beautiful anemone. Just not right now in your journey.
Thank you very much for your advice how should I take it out of the tank in order to stress it the least because I got nervous just getting it in the tank and also I don't have any bag to put it inside of would a container be ok?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As its moving around allot the foot should not be attached real well to the rock or where ever it is. I should be easy to remove by putting finger under foot and gently lifting it out. A credit card can be use gently to remove foot if its actually adhered. Put it in any tubaware or zip lock baggy with your water and take to the fish store where they can put it back in an established aquarium to recoop.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As its moving around allot the foot should not be attached real well to the rock or where ever it is. I should be easy to remove by putting finger under foot and gently lifting it out. A credit card can be use gently to remove foot if its actually adhered. Put it in any tubaware or zip lock baggy with your water and take to the fish store where they can put it back in an established aquarium to recoop.
dang I really feel terrible and how should I ask for credit without sounding like a jerk?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang I really feel terrible and how should I ask for credit without sounding like a jerk?
Politely tell them that you have learned that your tank is way too young to support this type of animal. You care about the life of the animal, and if they could do anything for you in the way of store credit or partial store credit, that would be very much appreciated. If they refuse to help you out, leave it with them, and move on. If they offered you 50% store credit, that is better than nothing. Let us know how it turns out, and Hang in There!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what he said. You are still cycling so the lfs should understand and work with you as a potential repeating customer. Most are easy to work with.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow since they closed already today I will update you guys on the situation tomorrow I appreciate everyone for being so helpful.

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

anemone has moved and also opened a little bit enough for me to take a good picture how does it look ?
It looks a lot better now. I see that you're going to return it to your LFS. Fyi, next time, you don't need to drop acclimate. Just temperature acclimate in the bag. Drip acclimating is more stressful for them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back