Anemone not doing well at all, help!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose cipro directly in the main display? And what are the directions of dosing it. I am trying to raise my nutrients.
Cipro can be added to display however a hospital tank is the best method. I believe it's 500mg per 10g with a 100% water change daily In a hospital tank.
@Lost in the Sauce @F i s h y

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I dose cipro directly in the main display? And what are the directions of dosing it. I am trying to raise my nutrients.
I dosed into the display and it worked for me , I did 250mg at night daily for 10 days. I had dying GBTA but they recovered after dosing , search broadcast cipro

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tired direct feeding?

I have had this in the past, and now with a new Anemone. I will place a few bits of frozen on the tips so that the anemone will pull the food toward it's mouth to feed.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 5g tank and 125mg for 8 days and it worked great. I also had 40g of heated saltwater mixed and ready for the nightly water change for convenience.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem doesn't look great as it did initially, but also doesn't look horribly sick either. I have had BTA's sulk like this for a few days and bounce back like nothing happened.

PO4 is quite low. I know this is a stick dominated tank and you can only move Po4 up so much, but .01 is Low. BTA's do prefer a bit more nutrients in the water than your acros will.

At This point in time, only a few days, I would Not be feeding it, or removing it yet. Both could prove to be more stress than is called for. I can't actually see the mouth. The foot is a bit open but looks firmly attached.

I keep Cipro on hand. If you don't have any, it's a good time to order it. You May end up needing it this time. You may not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking at your numbers, what test kits are you using?
Additionally, what is age of tank?
These guys don’t do well in newer tanks and require stable conditions. They get miserable when too many water changes are performed
They require moderate to medium light for production of zooxanthellae and moderate water flow
Too much water flow and they either move or shrink
Too much light and they hide.
As mentioned, feeding is important with food such as mysis shrimp or tiny bits of krill

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Phosphate at .01 is very low and could easily be bottoming out throughout the day , I would increase that to .06 nothing else seems alarming , if the nem continues with the mouth open I would be dosing cipro
Phosphate at about.06-.08 seems to be their happy spot

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys don’t do well in newer tanks and require stable conditions. They get miserable when too many water changes are performed
They require moderate to medium light for production of zooxanthellae and moderate water flow
As mentioned, feeding is important with food such as mysis shrimp or tiny bits of krill
tank is 1 year old.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed into the display and it worked for me , I did 250mg at night daily for 10 days. I had dying GBTA but they recovered after dosing , search broadcast cipro
how big was the tank?

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tired direct feeding?

I have had this in the past, and now with a new Anemone. I will place a few bits of frozen on the tips so that the anemone will pull the food toward it's mouth to feed.
It has been a while since I last tried direct feeding will give it a try again.
The nem doesn't look great as it did initially, but also doesn't look horribly sick either. I have had BTA's sulk like this for a few days and bounce back like nothing happened.

PO4 is quite low. I know this is a stick dominated tank and you can only move Po4 up so much, but .01 is Low. BTA's do prefer a bit more nutrients in the water than your acros will.

At This point in time, only a few days, I would Not be feeding it, or removing it yet. Both could prove to be more stress than is called for. I can't actually see the mouth. The foot is a bit open but looks firmly attached.

I keep Cipro on hand. If you don't have any, it's a good time to order it. You May end up needing it this time. You may not.
Tank is a mixed reef everything seems happy but I will raise the nutrients for sure.
I use hannah for po4 salifert for everything else. Tank as mentioned in original post is 1 year old, I don’t do many water changes. It gets enough light and flow. I will make sure to feed it.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for cypro does anyone have an image of the packaging of the particular medication since I am not very familiar with it.
Thank you all for your replies.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for cypro does anyone have an image of the packaging of the particular medication since I am not very familiar with it.
Thank you all for your replies.

Chewy is currently out of stock but this is what the packaging I get looks like.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I think little bud is a goner. That’s how it looks like after further inspection.
A6D66B64-7BAE-4138-A277-41B3FF90FE23.jpeg

anything that I can do given the current situation?

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s currently in an acclimation box.
Any further help would be appreciated. I apologise.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you put your hands on an anemone it makes their situation worse. The only time to get hands on is when moving to a hospital tank or death. If condition is deteriorating then a hospital tank and a course of cipro is the best action.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back