Anemone not doing well at all, help!

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had this BTA for over a month now and for the last few days it started to deflate and shrink. Today it moved to the upper section of the tank.
Tank details:
-Tank is a a reefer 250 that is 1 year old.
-I am successfully keeping acros, Millis,euphyllia , softies with no issues.
-Ai lightning.
-Dosing AFR
-monthly water changes.
parameters:
Salinity:1.025
ph:8.0
Kh: 8.3
Ca:450
Mg:1350
Po4:0.01
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Photo of nem before and after, I apologise for the bad photo quality, the anemone is in a place where it’s is hard to take a photo of.

F9B4B728-51DF-4366-9941-DCB581AF54D4.jpeg
5347AF8F-BA4F-455C-906F-B9168A677D7B.jpeg
32500BCC-B04C-428C-A21C-A74FB30EFD0A.jpeg

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow? did you acclimate the nem? anything in the tank that could bother or sting it? how long have you had it?
Two jebao scp 90(gyre style) that covers the whole tank.
yes I did drip acclimate it for 45 minutes.
had it for over a month as stated earlier

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's can be a little finnicky at times. I have one that does this when it sulks for what ever reason but the others (all split from the main) never do it. You can try to see if it will take food like a small chunk of a sea scallop. If mouth is closed you may be OK. You likely will have to hold the food near the mouth to entice it to eat. Start with a fairly small piece to see if it takes it and keeps it down. If it does give it a couple days and repeat to see if it improves. If it's holding the mouth open, well that's not a good sign and you might want to try to get it out or off the rock and into an acclimation box. You can use a small pump like a Sicce 1.0 with the nozzle tip on it and aim the water at the base of the foot. After a few minutes of constant flow like that the nem will almost certainly release allowing you to grab it and move it.

BTA's can also do this when they are...well... pooping... Do a water change and run carbon if not already and keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's can be a little finnicky at times. I have one that does this when it sulks for what ever reason but the others (all split from the main) never do it. You can try to see if it will take food like a small chunk of a sea scallop. If mouth is closed you may be OK. You likely will have to hold the food near the mouth to entice it to eat. Start with a fairly small piece to see if it takes it and keeps it down. If it does give it a couple days and repeat to see if it improves. If it's holding the mouth open, well that's not a good sign and you might want to try to get it out or off the rock and into an acclimation box. You can use a small pump like a Sicce 1.0 with the nozzle tip on it and aim the water at the base of the foot. After a few minutes of constant flow like that the nem will almost certainly release allowing you to grab it and move it.

BTA's can also do this when they are...well... pooping... Do a water change and run carbon if not already and keep an eye on it.
Mouth looks to me that its open. Can it be a bacterial infection?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look fine. Is this the only anemone in the tank?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate at .01 is very low and could easily be bottoming out throughout the day , I would increase that to .06 nothing else seems alarming , if the nem continues with the mouth open I would be dosing cipro

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mouth gaping? Where did the anemone come from? Wild caught? To be safe I would find some cipro and start the shipping process. May not be needed at all, however a life saver on occasions.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate at .01 is very low and could easily be bottoming out throughout the day , I would increase that to .06 nothing else seems alarming , if the nem continues with the mouth open I would be dosing cipro
Can I dose cipro directly in the main display? And what are the directions of dosing it. I am trying to raise my nutrients.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mouth gaping? Where did the anemone come from? Wild caught? To be safe I would find some cipro and start the shipping process. May not be needed at all, however a life saver on occasions.
I can’t tell for sure, the anemone is in a very hard position to see but from what I can see it looks like the mouth is indeed gaping. I unfortunately don’t know if it’s wild caught or not, I got it from my lfs and I didn’t ask.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back