Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank = 150 gallons
How long has the tank been running = 8 years
Does it have a filter = yes (cannister filter. no place to accommodate a sump filter)
Does it have a heater = no
What is the water temperature = 26 degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank =
1 x chromie
1 x mono angel (was added about 2 weeks back)
2 x juvenile black mollies (ones which were bred in the same marine tank. they were 5 fries but only 2 could survive. also the pair that gave birth to them is no more)
1 x sebae anemone (added it 3 days back)
1 x nerite snail
1 x nassarius snail
1 x mangrove (to keep the nitrates under control)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water = weekly, top ups as and when required
How much of the water do you change= 20%
What do you use to treat your water = I use RO, DI water from my aqua guard (same water used for drinking) so i don't treat the water as such
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water= substrate is vacuumed every 2 months. Other times only 20% water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you Cycle your tank before adding fish = obviously yes as the tank is running for the past 8 years
What do you use to test the water = API marine master test kit
What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish = once every night
How much do you feed your fish = one pallet at a time (once the fish eats that pellet, i feed it another one) until the fishes stop eating
What brand of food do you feed your fish = tropical soft line marine sinking granules. Occasionally i feed them with freshly hatched Baby brine shrimps
Do you feed frozen = no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods = no

My tank is fully cycled and has been running for 8 years now. Lately I decided to buy an anemone for the tank at its 8th anniversary.
I have bought a Sebae anemone from a local store that usually deals in good quality marine livestock, but the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now. This is my first anemone and I am really concerned about it. Since the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now, I have switched off my canister filter as well as wave maker so that there is very less flow in the tank which I thought was making it difficult for the anemone to settle in some place. but still no success. attaching pictures of the anemone.

thank you in advanced
sequence of the images is as follows
image 1 - pic of the anemone when I was temperature acclimating it.
20211205_194649.jpg

image 2 - image of the anemone the night when it was introduced to the tank
20211206_003927.jpg

image 3 & 4- picture of my entire setup (image taken at the time of posting this thread
20211208_011533.jpg
20211208_011535.jpg

image 5 & 6 - picture of the current position of the Anemone
20211208_011543.jpg
20211208_011546.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be too much water flow, even light
Flow will force it to move around

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting do you use? What is your salinity at?
I see lots of microbubbles in your tank, what's that from?
I'm sorry but this does not look like a 8 year old tank to me. Maybe its just the picture quality :)

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too much water flow, even light
Flow will force it to move around
all water flow (wave maker as well as cannister filter) were shut down when the anemone was added
What lighting do you use? What is your salinity at?
I see lots of microbubbles in your tank, what's that from?
I'm sorry but this does not look like a 8 year old tank to me. Maybe its just the picture quality :)
light = general indoor aquarium lamp SL1000, 20 watts power + general indoor aquarium lamp SL600, 12 watts power

i use both the lights in order to generate a ramp up and ramp down effect by switching on the 12W light initially and then switching on the 20W light

i have 2 hypothesis about the micro bubbles in the tank
1. from the hang on weipro SA2003 skimmer that was added yesterday in addition to my already existing protein skimmer. i have no place to have a sump and that was the reason i had to place the skimmer directly in the tank which generate a lot of bubbles from the outlet as water falls from some height to the tank generating bubbles which have spread all around the tank.
2. maybe there is a bloom of transparent bubble algae (i have seen translucent bubble algae but never seen transparent one). i will try touch it and if it bursts retaining the bubble, i can conclude that it is bubble algae but if it pops, i will conclude that those are air bubbles

in the following video it is clearly seen that water from the skimmer is falling from a considerate height from the the water level to generate bubbles which might have travelled and stuck to the live rock but still, i am going to touch the bubbles and see how they pop

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all water flow (wave maker as well as cannister filter) were shut down when the anemone was added

light = general indoor aquarium lamp SL1000, 20 watts power + general indoor aquarium lamp SL600, 12 watts power

i use both the lights in order to generate a ramp up and ramp down effect by switching on the 12W light initially and then switching on the 20W light

i have 2 hypothesis about the micro bubbles in the tank
1. from the hang on weipro SA2003 skimmer that was added yesterday in addition to my already existing protein skimmer. i have no place to have a sump and that was the reason i had to place the skimmer directly in the tank which generate a lot of bubbles from the outlet as water falls from some height to the tank generating bubbles which have spread all around the tank.
2. maybe there is a bloom of transparent bubble algae (i have seen translucent bubble algae but never seen transparent one). i will try touch it and if it bursts retaining the bubble, i can conclude that it is bubble algae but if it pops, i will conclude that those are air bubbles

in the following video it is clearly seen that water from the skimmer is falling from a considerate height from the the water level to generate bubbles which might have travelled and stuck to the live rock but still, i am going to touch the bubbles and see how they pop
update: i touched the bubbles and came to a conclusion that these are air bubbles not bubble algae

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of anemone is it?
its a sebae anemone.
Did you try to place it on a rock, or just on the bottom of the tank?
i tried placing it on several different locations on the rock. i also tried to place it in a hole which was just little bigger than the size of its foot (note: i didn't force the anemone inside this hole) it stayed on every location for few minutes (even few seconds) and then again came to the ground.

just gave him a feed (hand feeding) of sinking pallets (tropical soft line marine sinking granules) and it readily accepted the feed. (at least its accepting feeding which means it won't perish of hunger)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No superglue however you can loosely tie sewing thread and anemone to the fork. Make sure LOOSELY

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little super glue perhaps? But, I would get a second opinion just incase
i guess that would stress out the anemone a lot as these creatures select their own place to settle down which i feel is best because when i turn up the flow in the tank to normal as it was before introducing the nem, it might want to change its location for settling down to a more comfortable location considering the flow

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sense can be very stubborn when it comes to adaptability. Try the thread trick I mentioned
Also works for mushrooms

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No superglue however you can loosely tie sewing thread and anemone to the fork. Make sure LOOSELY
Sense can be very stubborn when it comes to adaptability. Try the thread trick I mentioned
Also works for mushrooms

can you please explain the procedure in detail or share a YouTube video link which explains it very well as i really don't want to hurt my nem

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank = 150 gallons
How long has the tank been running = 8 years
Does it have a filter = yes (cannister filter. no place to accommodate a sump filter)
Does it have a heater = no
What is the water temperature = 26 degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank =
1 x chromie
1 x mono angel (was added about 2 weeks back)
2 x juvenile black mollies (ones which were bred in the same marine tank. they were 5 fries but only 2 could survive. also the pair that gave birth to them is no more)
1 x sebae anemone (added it 3 days back)
1 x nerite snail
1 x nassarius snail
1 x mangrove (to keep the nitrates under control)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water = weekly, top ups as and when required
How much of the water do you change= 20%
What do you use to treat your water = I use RO, DI water from my aqua guard (same water used for drinking) so i don't treat the water as such
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water= substrate is vacuumed every 2 months. Other times only 20% water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you Cycle your tank before adding fish = obviously yes as the tank is running for the past 8 years
What do you use to test the water = API marine master test kit
What are your parameters?
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish = once every night
How much do you feed your fish = one pallet at a time (once the fish eats that pellet, i feed it another one) until the fishes stop eating
What brand of food do you feed your fish = tropical soft line marine sinking granules. Occasionally i feed them with freshly hatched Baby brine shrimps
Do you feed frozen = no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods = no

My tank is fully cycled and has been running for 8 years now. Lately I decided to buy an anemone for the tank at its 8th anniversary.
I have bought a Sebae anemone from a local store that usually deals in good quality marine livestock, but the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now. This is my first anemone and I am really concerned about it. Since the anemone hasn't settled for 2 days now, I have switched off my canister filter as well as wave maker so that there is very less flow in the tank which I thought was making it difficult for the anemone to settle in some place. but still no success. attaching pictures of the anemone.

thank you in advanced
sequence of the images is as follows
image 1 - pic of the anemone when I was temperature acclimating it.
20211205_194649.jpg

image 2 - image of the anemone the night when it was introduced to the tank
20211206_003927.jpg

image 3 & 4- picture of my entire setup (image taken at the time of posting this thread
20211208_011533.jpg
20211208_011535.jpg

image 5 & 6 - picture of the current position of the Anemone
20211208_011543.jpg
20211208_011546.jpg
Nems move, it takes time for them to find a happy spot with just enough Flow, light and food but not too much. Maybe flow or light too high.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never superglue an anemone, they need to move on their own and thats a good way to tear an anemones foot and watch it die

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the canister before you turn it back on. Stagnant canister water can mess your tank up.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems move, it takes time for them to find a happy spot with just enough Flow, light and food but not too much. Maybe flow or light too high.
all potential flow (cannister filter and wavemaker) shut down before introducing the nem. only potential flow is from the waterfall from the skimmer outlet which i had posted a video of.
here is that video

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible that its foot is damaged in the process of removing it from the bag it was kept in for transportation from the local store to my tank?

Back