anemone not sticking to rocks

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, once upon a time, I had a sebae nem, now I have a BTA and a Carpet in my new tank. Nems are going to move until they find a happy spot, and if you turn your flow back on, and that spot is no longer happy for them, they will move again. Personally, I would turn on all flow and let it do its thing for a week, if it doesn't find a happy place then I would be concerned and possibly turn off the 12-watt lamp and wait another few days, if that doesn't work, turn off the 20-watt and turn back on the 12-watt and wait... there are bound to be areas in your tank with the right amount of flow, you just gotta give it time.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't rip it of as it came off easily from the plastic surface of the bag
just wanted to mention that when i introduced the nem, my hermit crab felt offended and had attacked the nem's foot with his leg 3 times within 2 days (please don't misunderstand legs with claws. no claws were used) and i had to literally use both my hands to ease the grip of my hermit crab after which i had to separate the hermit crab from the tank so that the anemone can settle down

for the first time when i had kept the nem on a rock, it was settling down and i felt like it had even gripped the rock slightly but then the hermit crab moved in and attacked which led to the separation of the anemone from the rock. and after that, the nem is not attaching to any surface

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, once upon a time, I had a sebae nem, now I have a BTA and a Carpet in my new tank. Nems are going to move until they find a happy spot, and if you turn your flow back on, and that spot is no longer happy for them, they will move again. Personally, I would turn on all flow and let it do its thing for a week, if it doesn't find a happy place then I would be concerned and possibly turn off the 12-watt lamp and wait another few days, if that doesn't work, turn off the 20-watt and turn back on the 12-watt and wait... there are bound to be areas in your tank with the right amount of flow, you just gotta give it time.
its isn't moving from its place but it isn't gripping anything either. like for the entire day, the nem was sitting near the front glass of the tank but it never gripped the glass or even the rocks just few inches (1 or 1.5) inch away from the glass.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i try anf flip it over to get a pic of its foot so that we can analyze weather it is damaged or is in good condition
I would just leave it alone. Any moving or touching of the anemone will continue it's stress and prolong it's acclimation. Leave it be and let it do it's thing

brode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above anemones take time to find a happy spot, my long tentacle will rest in the same spot for months then just move with nothing changing in the tank (probably a crab or something poking at it). My 4 RBTA’s wonder occasionally also, one literally just moved an inch last week.

Just keep an eye on its appearance for health and make sure it can’t get into the intakes of the skimmers, filter and wave makers.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above anemones take time to find a happy spot, my long tentacle will rest in the same spot for months then just move with nothing changing in the tank (probably a crab or something poking at it). My 4 RBTA’s wonder occasionally also, one literally just moved an inch last week.

Just keep an eye on its appearance for health and make sure it can’t get into the intakes of the skimmers, filter and wave makers.
wave maker and cannister filter was turned off before introducing the nem. the only potential flow is the skimmer intake which is a very tiny intake with a mesh so it is anemone safe i guess

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-09 at 1.10.34 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-09 at 1.10.35 AM.jpeg

as it is clearly seen, the nem is not attached either to the glass or the rocks. its just sitting there and even taking feed. though it seems a bit deflated than it should be. this is the exact position the nem was sitting for the entire day and hasn't mover around the tank from here but looking at its foot we can confidently conclude that it hasn't gripped anything either. and that is why i feel that its a point of concern because if it has found a place he likes and hasn't moved from there for a day, why hasn't it gripped itself to the surrounding hard support

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an article to read up on: https://www.whogivesafish.com/sebae-anemone/
Important part of the article to address this situation is this: "A normal live rock setup is required to house an a Sebae Anemone, with at least 4 – 8” inches of sand substrate for them to bury their foot into. This anemone will attach its foot to a hard surface through the sand."

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with most that it just needs to find its spot. If the tank is suitable (lighting/parameters) then it will find where it is most happy. This is why I would not using any tricks to keep it in a specific place you want to let it find the spot it will be most healthy. I also do not think the issue would be too much flow. It can deal with quite a bit of flow.... and again as long as not artificially restrained to one spot will find a spot with the proper flow.

As long as you have precautions to keep him out of powerheads/etc then I say just let him find his spot.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its isn't moving from its place but it isn't gripping anything either. like for the entire day, the nem was sitting near the front glass of the tank but it never gripped the glass or even the rocks just few inches (1 or 1.5) inch away from the glass.
it needs flow to blow up and move around anywhere substantial, turn on your flow and monitor it, check in on it every few hours or so, but don't panic until a week goes by. My BTA has been in the new tank for 8 weeks and has moved about every 3 days, and took almost a week to attach the first time around. You don't have anything else in that tank that's stationary that the nem can harm, and any fish will move out of the way. Just let it do its thing with your tank the way it runs normally.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an article to read up on: https://www.whogivesafish.com/sebae-anemone/
Important part of the article to address this situation is this: "A normal live rock setup is required to house an a Sebae Anemone, with at least 4 – 8” inches of sand substrate for them to bury their foot into. This anemone will attach its foot to a hard surface through the sand."
i have a normal live rock set up in the tank which was visible in the previous pics i shared. sand bed is around 2.5 inches deep.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it needs flow to blow up and move around anywhere substantial, turn on your flow and monitor it, check in on it every few hours or so, but don't panic until a week goes by. My BTA has been in the new tank for 8 weeks and has moved about every 3 days, and took almost a week to attach the first time around. You don't have anything else in that tank that's stationary that the nem can harm, and any fish will move out of the way. Just let it do its thing with your tank the way it runs normally.
will turn on the wave maker tomorrow morning as it is night time and i cannot have a constant watch over the nem if the lights are turned off. and there are chances that it might get sucked up in the wavemaker intake side. will delay turning on the filter as of now because the anemone is sitting close to the filter intake.

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"this is the exact position the nem was sitting for the entire day and hasn't mover around the tank from here"
Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

It found a spot. Don't feed it for a couple weeks and leave it be
read this one too late. gave him a feed some time back.
though it was negligible amount of feed (2 granular sinking palates)

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a normal live rock set up in the tank which was visible in the previous pics i shared. sand bed is around 2.5 inches deep.
Correct, what I was pointing out is the fact that Sebae anemones like to bury their foot in the sandbed. So the fact that your anemone is on the sandbed and hasnt moved is a good thing. He'll slowly work his foot into the sand and most likely attach to the bottom glass. Until he moves elsewhere anyway

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back