anemone not sticking to rocks

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than algae (which is fine) what's wrong with the tank?
Obviously, there is a lack of maintenance and upkeep.

If the person who owns this tank lacks the discipline to care for it at this early and simple stage, why should anyone believe that there would be any success when housing the more difficult creatures?

Put an Anemone in this tank and withing two weeks, there will be posts tagged as an emergency about why it looks so terrible and seeking help to save it.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 ppm to high
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

we are talking about nitrates, right? 10ppm is too high? :oops:

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signs of cyano aka red slime from pic also lighting does not look adequate, please check water parameters.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my LTA, it took 3 months for it to bury its foot in the sand. I never seen any damage to the foot. I put in my refugium which has 1/2 inch deep sand bed. There was no flow, just light. Never tried to feed it. One day I was doing maintenance and noticed it's foot was buried in the sand. As long as your nem doesn't de flate, that is good sign. It does look bleached. Keep it in low flow and give it plenty of light.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of amazed how many havent touched on the aquarium itself to be honest.

I dont think anyone is intentionally knocking it, but the set up isnt too great, especially for an Anemone.

They are one of the species of invertebrates that require very stable conditions, together with fairly strong flow and lighting.

Your tank doesnt look to have any of that ? Its obviously not too stable, with the cyano etc going on - The amount of air bubbles being pushed in must play havoc with the salinity too surely?
Your lighting really isnt sufficient for any type of Anemone to "thrive" and i doubt one wavemaker (if there is one) will provide enough flow either, being that its obviously not one of the more popular brands if there is one in the tank.

Kind of amazed at the recommendations to glue or tie down an Anemone that by nature will move itself too.

I really dont mean offence by the above - But my advice is to return it and concentrate on getting the tank tip top and stable before attempted a creature that relies on stability.

Is it really 8 years old? Where or what happened to the inhabitants in those 8 years?

OP
OP
prasunchoudhari

prasunchoudhari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lighting really isnt sufficient for any type of Anemone to "thrive" and i doubt one wavemaker (if there is one) will provide enough flow either, being that its obviously not one of the more popular brands if there is one in the tank.
it has a wavemaker. attaching the link for the same below

update on the nem
he is completely fine and happy and has dug its foot in the sand
also introduced a bubble tip anemone

the tank is doing very well and the algae bloom is also in control now
currents residents
1x blue green chromies
1x mono angel fish
1x juvenile nigripes clownfish
1x adult sabae clownfish
1x medium size (2 inch) scissortail damsel fish

upgraded the lighting to zetlight lancia 2 marine light. Attaching the link below.

Is it really 8 years old? Where or what happened to the inhabitants in those 8 years?
I shifted my residence 3 years ago before lockdown and in the process, a pair of clowns and 3 chromies were killed due to long distance travelling stress and bad handling by the transport agency (got a refund for the same but lost an established pair of egg lying clownfish which i had raised from juvenile stage from the very beginning of the setup)

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those buying anemones, let color be your guide. This seabae was bleached out from the start, almost white. Thats an indicator that it has expelled its zooxanthelle (very common for seabaes). You want more brown or green in the body to indicate good health. It seems it was not in the best condition when first adding. That is likely part of why he wont settle down. My advice is to build a ring of rocks and dig out a small hole so that the anemone can bury its foot in the sand and attach to a buried rock. It can take many days for an unhappy anemone to attach or settle. Ive not heard of Zetlight, but it may be an issue for you, not powerful enough for anemones. Ive gotten away with t5s for seabaes but they prefer halides or good leds. I've never gotten any that were pure white like that to live for too long.

Liam is right that from the photos, you appear to have a bunch of issues going on that you would have wanted to address before adding any livestock.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back