Anemone problems

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt be surprised if that clown nursed him back to health....

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a lot of misinformation and bad advice going around here but Ron is pretty much spot on. That anemone is in malnourishment decline most likely due to an acquired bacterial infection and has consumed its tentacles as a quasi self preservation tactic. What I would do is qt an treat the anemone in a 5-10 gallon tank. Read the following article on treating anemones and you can substitute kanaplex & furan for the cipro. Once the mouth has closed feed small portions of mashed up frozen food daily(start with pea sized amount of mash and work your way up to nickel sized amounts). The bacterial infections work very slowly so the anemone will slowly decline and shrink overtime until one day it goes poof if you do nothing. Medications however work quite quickly so you should know if that is what your dealing with after 1-2 treatments. After the treatment is complete and you have then nem eating and looking better you can move it back to the display. The recovery of a nem that deep into infection is a LONG road but possible. I have had success restoring nems like this many times so good luck and please ask if you have any questions.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with cipro here as the nem was fine before he lost power on his return pump for a couple of days and almost nuked his tank. I think with time and stable parameters hell be just fine.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with cipro here as the nem was fine before he lost power on his return pump for a couple of days and almost nuked his tank. I think with time and stable parameters hell be just fine.

I didn’t say treat with cipro, a standard bta is not worth the trouble of acquiring it. But a treatment of more easily acquired broad spec abts is where I would start on that anemone. Also, that anemone was in decline long before the return died, they do not eat there tentacles in a couple of days.

Also forgot the link on the qt in my previous post http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/proven-method-for-treating-bacterial-infection-in-anemones-6845/

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 10% water changes daily for about a week and a half, left town again, had the lfs come in a few times to check on the tank, do some more water changes. The owner brought in some seeded water, and the anemone has its tentacles back. It moved to a different place now. Thought it had died because I didn’t see it right away. It had crawled underneath a rock and the clownfish were hiding it pretty well.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really glad to hear the follow up that things are looking better.

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7af480043f5cd2f7099e22c0548b4e73.jpg

Looking more like a BTA now

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay a lot of misinformation and bad advice going around here but Ron is pretty much spot on. That anemone is in malnourishment decline most likely due to an acquired bacterial infection and has consumed its tentacles as a quasi self preservation tactic. What I would do is qt an treat the anemone in a 5-10 gallon tank. Read the following article on treating anemones and you can substitute kanaplex & furan for the cipro. Once the mouth has closed feed small portions of mashed up frozen food daily(start with pea sized amount of mash and work your way up to nickel sized amounts). The bacterial infections work very slowly so the anemone will slowly decline and shrink overtime until one day it goes poof if you do nothing. Medications however work quite quickly so you should know if that is what your dealing with after 1-2 treatments. After the treatment is complete and you have then nem eating and looking better you can move it back to the display. The recovery of a nem that deep into infection is a LONG road but possible. I have had success restoring nems like this many times so good luck and please ask if you have any questions.
How do you feed it if it's tentacles are gone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back