Anemone problems

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Not new to reefs, just getting back into it after a few years off. Had an anemone that was doing fine, left the tank unmonitored for a couple of days, came back to a disaster. Return pump wasn’t circulating the water back into the aquarium from the sump. Have some slime and algae issues, smelled bad. Got everything circulating again, but the only major problem at the moment seems to be the green bta. Any suggestions other than the water change I’m already in the middle of?
A90464C6-87E6-418F-A81A-7D5AC4D7E7E1.jpeg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!Not sure there is a lot more you can do at this point besides water changes.I would run carbon or even better some chemipure

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Are you running any carbon to filter the water?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got carbon running in a canister filter. I had one around, figured I’d give that a try before getting reactors.
Ok good it will help clear your water from the smell and remove any toxins as well.
@Amoo what are your thoughts
Also #reefsquad any other steps other then the water changes and running carbon?

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stubborn. It looks better today than it did yesterday. Maybe only 2% better, but better.

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of putting it in quarantine, but I don’t know how big of a tank I’d need

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely doesn’t look good if you have a quarantine I would move him if you can. Well taken care of he could bounce back is he attached to the rock well?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO either suggestion, leave it in the tank or put it in a QT has merit. I have to admit, that's the least looking like a BTA photo I've ever seen. But I'm an optimist and I'd try to save it.

If your system water volume is small, a QT isn't a bad idea. I have an 80g system and I've pulled inverts, including anemones. and kept them in a 1g tuperware container and simple did a 100% water change 2 or 3 times a day. It's not the best solution, but it worked and I kept 2 anemones that were beach rescues during last summer's Red Tide here in SW Florida. I kept them that way for 3 weeks and they looked better and better over time and I even added them to my tank at the end of 3 weeks. They are still alive and doing just fine even though they do not have any zooxanthellae for photosynthesis. So the rely on me feeding them, just like the fish.

If your system is big enough that a dying nem isn't going to be a big problem to the rest of the tank (and I think nems dying and nuking a tank is overblown) then I'd leave it in place and justt keep up good tank husbandry standards.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def overblown ron...ive had many nems die over thw years sometimes i didnt find them before they disintegrated into the tank...never had a tank nuked by one...
And op hes not gone until hes a pile of goo....

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought the pic to the lfs, they asked me if I was sure it was a bubble tip and not a carpet anemone. I said “you sold it to me as a bubble tip, so unless they change species, it’s still a bubble tip”. They’d never seen anything like it before. I was pretty surprised it looks like that and is still alive. It’s in a 55 gal. I don’t have a lot of space for another aquarium at the moment, so I’ll probably have to leave it where it is and just get into changing water a lot

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought the pic to the lfs, they asked me if I was sure it was a bubble tip and not a carpet anemone. I said “you sold it to me as a bubble tip, so unless they change species, it’s still a bubble tip”. They’d never seen anything like it before. I was pretty surprised it looks like that and is still alive. It’s in a 55 gal. I don’t have a lot of space for another aquarium at the moment, so I’ll probably have to leave it where it is and just get into changing water a lot

You really don't need another aquarium, any one gallon container could work if the nem is on a rock that is easy to remove from the tank and put in the container. As long as the nem hasn't died, you can do 100% water changes with the DT. If the nem gets worse, make some new water and either use it for the nem or use DT water for the nem and use the new water to replace the water you take out of the tank. Twice a day works, 3 or 4 times a day is more than enough. A small bubbler and airstone would be a good addition. If you don't have one, you should get one. That come in really handy during emergencies!

OP
OP
N

NickT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an odd twist, before all of this, my clownfish wanted nothing to do with the anemone. Then for some reason, today, one decided it should definitely host. Barely a visible tentacle, but the fish seems to be the most comfortable swimming where the tentacles should be.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back