Anemone question

James7733

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what alkalinity level sebae and Haitian anemones thrive in? I thought when I accidentally raised my alkalinity to 17 when I was trying to raise the PH to 8.4 and actually wound up with 8.8 that I would loose the anemone's and yet they seem to be better then ever. This has me curious as to what the water perameters would be where they are from. I did do a five gallon water change last night and planned to do more but now find myself thinking maybe I should not do so. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

OP
OP
James7733

James7733

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merged the 2 threads together.

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Values for NSW. See link below for those values. Sebae and Haitain anemones come from vastly different geographical locations.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Occasionally what may appear to us as a positive response is actually a sign of stress.

OP
OP
James7733

James7733

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Values for NSW. See link below for those values. Sebae and Haitain anemones come from vastly different geographical locations.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Occasionally what may appear to us as a positive response is actually a sign of stress.
Thanks that's what I was actually wondering. Don't want them to crap out on me days from now. They all had some good size shrimp last night but that might be a survival move. Due to the changes in water perameters. I will check the link you provided.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That link is a book maker for sure. :) I have been using it for a long long time.

While there are ranges that fall with normal. Unfortunately an alk of 17 and pH 8.8 do not fall within those ranges.

You probably did no longer term harm. Guess your intervention to raise pH was too successful.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would stop chasing pH -- more harm than good come from that.

Make sure that your Cal, Alk and Mag levels are in check, and your pH will follow.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said ^^ my pH drops to 7.6-7.7 at night since the CO2 builds up in my room and I've never had issues with that. During the day when the main lights kick on it's usually around 8.0, 8.1 with windows open.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back