Anemone taking over tank, when will he split?!

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends, I've taken over a friends 34 gallon tank + 9 gallon sump a month ago. My anemone has moved around a bunch and finally settled right in the front and is really spreading out. His position covers two of the best caves and fish swimming routes.

He is just so darn big, any way to encourage him to split?

I dont think I would do it, but can they be split by me?

Any thoughts?

IMG_1709.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a better pic to get a positive ID on the nem but it doesn’t look like a anemone that splits

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends, I've taken over a friends 34 gallon tank + 9 gallon sump a month ago. My anemone has moved around a bunch and finally settled right in the front and is really spreading out. His position covers two of the best caves and fish swimming routes.

Any thoughts?

IMG_1709.jpg
Would not attempt the split.... apparently they (looks LTA to me) are not known to split like a BTA would.
Welcome to my life lol...getting bigger and bigger by the month. About 7 inches a year ago, roughly 13 now. Embrace it or re-home ....or hope it moves to a more suitable spot. At least the good thing is you appear to be doing a great job with it, and its a healthy beautiful Nem....and at least your clowns actually go into it lol...

Here's mine. Always back to the same spot after a wander every so often. In a 90 g so a bit more room to roam/grow....
20210302_171158.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the marbled tentacles and purple/pink tips I would lean towards a sebae (idk difference between the species malu or crispa). Pic of outer collumn would help with id, its not too important reallythough. But yea its not splitting, Ive had to get rid of 2 LTAs once they got too big, check your LFS they may let you trade if its getting large

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not attempt the split.... apparently they (looks LTA to me) are not known to split like a BTA would.
Welcome to my life lol...getting bigger and bigger by the month. About 7 inches a year ago, roughly 13 now. Embrace it or re-home ....or hope it moves to a more suitable spot. At least the good thing is you appear to be doing a great job with it, and its a healthy beautiful Nem....and at least your clowns actually go into it lol...

Here's mine. Always back to the same spot after a wander every so often. In a 90 g so a bit more room to roam/grow....
20210302_171158.jpg
Could you please id if this is a LTA as well.... was hoping for it to split one of these days :(
20210225_115400.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can grow large and planning something of this size into your build is important .

covering the caves is the spot that has optimal conditions ( flow , lighting , possibly even food )

at this point it’s either embrace it or rehome it .

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please id if this is a LTA as well.... was hoping for it to split one of these days :(
20210225_115400.jpg
Looks it, but is it growing between 2 rocks, foot in the sand? Thats where they usually like to plant themselves. Doubtful it ever splits...

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the marbled tentacles and purple/pink tips I would lean towards a sebae (idk difference between the species malu or crispa). Pic of outer collumn would help with id, its not too important reallythough. But yea its not splitting, Ive had to get rid of 2 LTAs once they got too big, check your LFS they may let you trade if its getting large
In that case how does LTA reproduce?

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like sebae to me also. The the tentacle density/spacing looks to be much more than lta

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like sebae to me also. The the tentacle density/spacing looks to be much more than lta
Not very sure if it is a sebae as it doesn't have the typical tip like a sebae... but i could be wrong as i don't know enough. Here are some closeup pics if it might help to ID it.
20210326_184525.jpg
20210326_130110.jpg
20210326_130053.jpg

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?
Ha! When my nems split it seems like the original and new one are back to the size of the original in a matter of weeks so splitting just causes more expansion of nems into the tank imo.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back