Anemone tank?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to take out all of my LPS to do this I have to know the following:
Can maxi minis, bubble tip, flower nems, and carpet anemones touch or will they at least get out of each others way upon contact?
Will any of these nems struggle to hold back hair algae in my system?

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bta maxi minis and rfa all touching. I dont have a carpet nem so no input on them but the other 3 seem to play nice in my tank.
20191107_212641.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mixed gigantea, haddoni, magnifica, BTAs, and mini-maxis without any issues. As long as the LPS don't have long sweeper tentacles (or they're kept far enough away) and the anemones can't touch the LPS, you can even keep those.

Regarding algae, depending on the anemones you keep, you may have to constantly replenish your CUC. My gigantea anemones have created a field of empty snail shells.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mixed gigantea, haddoni, magnifica, BTAs, and mini-maxis without any issues. As long as the LPS don't have long sweeper tentacles (or they're kept far enough away) and the anemones can't touch the LPS, you can even keep those.

Regarding algae, depending on the anemones you keep, you may have to constantly replenish your CUC. My gigantea anemones have created a field of empty snail shells.
I already have the problem in that my clean up crew keeps on not being enough for my tank so hair algae is a problem. But part 2 of this question is will nems be beaten out or overgrown by hair algae?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess the only one I don't know now is rfa to carpets and magnifica.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess most nems will just move when stung. What about a nem dealing with hair algae.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am just going to throw in my 2 cents...I would worry more about the nutrient imbalances causing all this hair algae killing the anemones than the hair algae itself. There must be a reason for all the hair algae...:oops:

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am just going to throw in my 2 cents...I would worry more about the nutrient imbalances causing all this hair algae killing the anemones than the hair algae itself. There must be a reason for all the hair algae...:oops:
You want the honest answer it grows slowly and comes back after I remove it I think the issue is lack of critters to take up space in a 1 year old tank only 4 corals and 1 nem something had to grow. Thats why I have algae.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if the hair algae can overgrow the nems.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I know algae can overgrow most corals except torches but can it overgrow any of these nems.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the honest answer it grows slowly and comes back after I remove it I think the issue is lack of critters to take up space in a 1 year old tank only 4 corals and 1 nem something had to grow. Thats why I have algae.
Good answer, lol I had really good luck with mexican turbo snails....the big guys...when I had a bad bit of hair algae. That might be a good, cheap option. You don't need a lot of them and they won't bother/be bothered by anemones.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a tang or rabbit fish to take care of the hair algae. They don't bother anemones.

You'll also want to consider finding a way to control the nutrients that are feeding the hair algae. Do you have a refugium? My anemone tanks have refugiums with chaeto and ulva, as well as other macroalgae.

Finally, to answer your question -- no, hair algae cannot overtake an anemone. It only grows on surfaces that it can attach to, typically hard surfaces such as live rock and SPS or LPS skeletons, but not soft surfaces like an anemone or soft coral.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good answer, lol I had really good luck with mexican turbo snails....the big guys...when I had a bad bit of hair algae. That might be a good, cheap option. You don't need a lot of them and they won't bother/be bothered by anemones.
Hermits keep on pickng off my snails though.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a tang or rabbit fish to take care of the hair algae. They don't bother anemones.

You'll also want to consider finding a way to control the nutrients that are feeding the hair algae. Do you have a refugium? My anemone tanks have refugiums with chaeto and ulva, as well as other macroalgae.

Finally, to answer your question -- no, hair algae cannot overtake an anemone. It only grows on surfaces that it can attach to, typically hard surfaces such as live rock and SPS or LPS skeletons, but not soft surfaces like an anemone or soft coral.
I have a yellow and a kole tang they pick at itbyt don't eat it.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You'll also want to consider finding a way to control the nutrients that are feeding the hair algae. Do you have a refugium? My anemone tanks have refugiums with chaeto and ulva, as well as other macroalgae."

I agree completely. Just because you don't have much in your tank or that it's fairly new, that doesn't mean "something had to grow." IMHO a refugium or reactors in a sump to remove nitrate and phosphate are better solutions than more CUC. And CUC won't even touch some forms of algae.

I have a fine, slimy version of hairy algae that seems to like less light and grows very well in between zoas and literally smothers them. It does not grow on the zoas or anemones, but it grows all around them and left on it's own would eventually get big and dense enough to cover it and probably kill it.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits keep on pickng off my snails though.
You might want to start feeding them or collect some to give away. They are hungry. I found early on, the amount of clean up crew critters recommended by most places, is astronomically too high.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to start feeding them or collect some to give away. They are hungry. I found early on, the amount of clean up crew critters recommended by most places, is astronomically too high.
I don't have much I was workinf at a critter per 2 gallons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back