Anemones

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I was curious if there’s any anemone species that don’t split at all, or at least have a low chance of splitting? Been contemplating getting one but the whole splitting behaviour they might do worries me given that i have corals in my 90 gal already. Hopefully this wasn’t a stupid question lol, thanks as always everyone and happy reefing.

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if any species that don’t split but. Splitting shouldn’t be too big of a problem. Most of the time mother anemones are huge and would take almost the whole of a 30 gallon. So unless you’re trying to make it split it shouldn’t be too bad. And you can usually catch the baby before they do any damage

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Condylactus, sebae and mini max carpets

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mini max carpets split. Trust me. I have 7 from one I bought a year and a half ago.
Oops. . . . meant except mini max, carpets do not. Rock flower also dont. Then again, they get so large you can wear them like a hat

360g corals3.jpg

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my lfs the same question and here is the response he gave me. There are nems that have very low or never split like condy and carpet but then you increase your chances of them hunting. What he suggested is find out what is causing my bta to split and fix it. Now that is very difficult to do but I was able to control it by adding a second pair of maxspect 350s, I have a 400 gallon system, and they have stopped splitting and instead reproduced. There are a many factors that play a role but it is survival for them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rock flowers don’t? I saw a thread about some guys rock flower split apparently lol.
I have 5 almost 2 years they have never split

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 almost 2 years they have never split
Agreed, I have 13. They don’t split and there’s a gigantic thread called Ron Reefman’s Rock Flower Experience that details the spawning (not splitting) of rock flower anemones

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I have 13. They don’t split and there’s a gigantic thread called Ron Reefman’s Rock Flower Experience that details the spawning (not splitting) of rock flower anemones
Okay so if I were to get one rock flowers are my best choice?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so if I were to get one rock flowers are my best choice?
Honestly, rock flowers are awesome looking, that’s what I would choose in your situation! Especially in a 90 gallon, they won’t crawl to far, just give him light and food and he will be a great addition.

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, rock flowers are awesome looking, that’s what I would choose in your situation! Especially in a 90 gallon, they won’t crawl to far, just give him light and food and he will be a great addition.
Are rock flowers a threat to anything else in the tank? Fish, inverts etc?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are rock flowers a threat to anything else in the tank? Fish, inverts etc?
Will give off a mild sting if provoked, very rare it kill a fish. My rfa actually touches my war paint scoly with no damage done to the scoly. Usually pretty peaceful minded, what inhabitants are in your 90?

OP
OP
J

Joey.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give off a mild sting if provoked, very rare it kill a fish. My rfa actually touches my war paint scoly with no damage done to the scoly. Usually pretty peaceful minded, what inhabitants are in your 90?
Clownfish pair
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang (not permanent unless I upgrade)
YWG
Cleaner wrasse
Royal Gramma
Hermits
Snails
Blue legged pistol shrimp

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish pair
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang (not permanent unless I upgrade)
YWG
Cleaner wrasse
Royal Gramma
Hermits
Snails
Blue legged pistol shrimp
Only thing I have read that might be something to watch for is your tangs getting curious and nosing around where they shouldn’t. Also, slow movers like snails can be pulled in every once in a blue moon, but personally, I have a 2 clowns, dozens of snails, and hermits and never seen my rfa even attempt to eat them. Usually my rfa gets scared when something touches it and closes up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back